New VDO Gauges! Theyyyyy're Great!

Started by Lefty, January 10, 2009, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lefty

Sent: 2/28/2004

I got new VDO gauges for the custom dash I'm building.  Water temp, engine oil temp, trans. temp, speedo, oil pressure, volt meter, gas gauge.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

mightybooboo

Sent: 2/28/2004 11:22 AM

NICE gauges Lefty!
BooBoo

melyash

Sent: 2/29/2004 

I tried that line once, but she still slapped me!  lol. Actually yea, that looks nice, be able to keep track of what is really going on in the world of you engine.

Matt

Oz

Could you tell us a little something about these gauges that makes them a master's choice?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Ksnarf

well, I use VDO gauges for my track cars, they are some of the best in the business and are guaranteed by VDO for the life of the car against failure.

In doing research i found that the VDO gauges are usually the most accurate of all major aftermarket gauges, and they carry some of the harder to find gauges (boost, Air/Fuel, Alternatve fuel, etc)

and no, I don't work for them - LOL!

kris

UluzYarx

Sent: 3/5/2004

Hey Lefty,

I admired your breathtakingly beautiful, and remarkably accurate, VDO analogue gauges at length.

I wondered about members who worry about over heating.

I wondered about the quarter century old guess-gauges that set them worrying.

I wondered if you still have what I know as Tempi-labels in the States.

Just in case you I've got the wrong name, the self adhesive pieces of temperature sensitive material that you racers stick (used to stick?) on parts of your cars to check the maximum temperatures they reached during a race or practice.

Do you reckon 'Tempi-labels would make a useful check on engine, oil, transmission fluid, back axle temperatures, what ever they might worry about the temperature of, on their Winnebagos?

If so, how do you feel about telling everyone what ‘Tempi-labels’ are called in the States, where to get them, and the best way to use them?

Thanks - All the best Dave

Lefty

Sent: 3/6/2004

Thanks Dave, I chose to replace the dash and gauges because the original dash panel was badly warped from heat and sun, and because I didn't know if any of the original gauges still worked or not. I picked the VDO because I know and trust them having used them on other projects for years, and because they were the only ones that came in a style that would match the design I am planning. I have heard of the temperature measurement tool you mentioned, I think one brand is called a "Tattle-tale" but I'm not positive. I have seen them used on new engines (epoxied to the head) to let the manufacturer know if the engine was ran hot in case of warranty claims. I am sure the racing community would also have a variety of uses for a similar product too. But I am afraid I don't know much more than that.

Regards, Lefty

Hahn007

Any pictures of the gauges and assembly lefty?

LJ-TJ

Where's the pictures??????????????????? D:oH! so the rest of us can admire you handy work.

Lefty

Although you are replying to a topic that was originally posted WAY back in 2004... You are in luck. Not only am I still active here 10 years later, I never delete ANYTHING...lol (And people wonder why I needed two 2TB hard drives, and have a 5TB external hard drive array.

I uploaded them to an album on TinyPic...

You should be able to view them there.. There are too many to post here (21 I think).

http://tinypic.com/a/3g076/3

I'll add an "update".. I never finished that project. I ended up selling the D-18 that I was intending to install them into because the rig was in far worse shape than I thought once I really tore into it further. Not only did it need a new roof and floor.. the engine had a 2" hole in the left side of the block thanks to the number 6 rod flying thru it the first time I managed to get it to crank.. It also was going to need an entirely new wiring harness scratch built for the dash and ignition. I could do the work, but it would have cost me more in time & money than it was worth.
I had planned to finish the above gauge panel and install the rest of the needed rocker switches into it.... but after it sat in my storage building for 5 years, I finally sold it for just $200 at a yard sale. (I had paid closer to $400 in all for the gauges...)They had never been installed or used.
Here's a pic of the D-18...

LJ-TJ

Sweet panel. Now I remember. I was in the process of doing over my 75 21footer at the time and was having trouble with my interment panel. At the time the price was just a tad out of my reach with everything else that was going on. Shame you had to let it go for that. Somebody made off like a bandit. I ended up going with Autometer because of quality and MADE IN THE U.S. of A.