Wierd Tail-light problem

Started by Trunkhill1, July 20, 2015, 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trunkhill1

I've rewired the DC connection to the truck with a modern 6-wire plug.  The driver side brake/turn and plate light work as they should.  The passenger side (also a double filament) however will not illuminate the brake when the lights are turned on.  The turn signal flashes at a slightly slower rate than the drivers-side.  I checked out my truck and found my blinkers were functioning normally.  Is there some kind of relay I don't know about?  I checked all over and under the trailer.

JessEm

Hi Trunkhill1, Most vehicles have a 'turn signal flasher', usually located in the fuse box. They wear out. I might start there... but maybe someone else has a better idea...

For lack of ANY better explanations, you may need to pull the actual fuse box and look at its connections on the back side... I had the running lights wire arc together with another always-hot wire, and it created all kinds of weird stuff on that circuit. And nobody had been back there since it left the factory.

EDIT: I just realized yours is a travel trailer... I have a motorhome so I'm not really sure if any of this applies.

legomybago

Check and make sure your passenger side trailer light filaments are correctly wired. If switched around, or a bulb got shoved in backwards, you won't see any change in brightness due to the bright filament already is lit. Check your grounds.
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

JessEm

I'll second the ground. I was AMAZED when I learned how much... weirdness... can be attributed to a poor ground.

Rickf1985

Definitely sounds like a bad ground at the light.

Froggy1936

Another very hard thing to find is a bad bulb, That a filament has broken and fallen down to the other circuit . This will drive ya nuts . Best cure replace both dual filament bulbs with new ones Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Trunkhill1

So after playing with the wiring and wanting to leave it exposed anyway, I gave up trying to fix the OEM assemblies and put in new ones.  They began working as advertised.