I am DEVASTATED!!!

Started by DRMousseau, August 31, 2015, 03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

DRMousseau, you sir are now my hero!  The calm which you exhibited during the accident which prevent serious injuries is laudable.  The calm which you are exhibiting now, with good humor, makes you an outstanding human being.  I hope you find a rig that is suitable to your needs very soon, and on the cheap!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DRMousseau

SO,.... this is the critical part that failed and resulted in the loss of steering control in the 'ol Winnebago. On close inspection, it was not due to excessive wear or neglect, but broke due to a recent impact or repeated impacts, causing the hardened race/retainer of the socket joint on the drag link, to "crystallize" and fracture. No longer able to hold the socket in place, it was only the light housing that had held it's pieces together.
I suspect a few hundred miles of NASTY Indiana highways, to be at fault!!! And I was so damn worried about everything coming apart or blowin' a tire on those roads! I had to stop several times to check things over, re-secure that which was jarred loose, and had serious concerns of damage from those roads! It was the hardest ride I have EVER experienced! Poor and uneven road surfaces thru construction zones made for a "white-knuckled' ride in which I struggled to maintain control every mile, even at reduced speeds. If it cracked or fractured at that time, it would not have been seen in my inspections since, as the damage was subtle and internal. But in only the thousand miles since, it deteriorated to failure with no impending signs.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

xerofall

So sorry that happened. That is devastating.

Tim Traveler

Very sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear everyone made it out alright.  I'm hoping you're able to find a replacement for your home on wheels very soon.  I can only imagine how scary that whole experience was for you, as well as for everyone with you. 

Also, please give my thanks to your son for his service to our country. 

Tim Traveler

I just need to make a correction - please give my thanks to your son-in-law for his service to our country. 

I hope all is well with everyone, and again, I'm very sorry to hear about this unfortunate accident. 

LJ-TJ

Ok! So now. What are we looking for. A Classic Winnebago 66 to 78. About a 21' footer with a 440 and a 727. Low mileage for $$$$$$. By...No later that so's we can get him to Florida by???????? :laugh:

DRMousseau

LJ-TJ,... The ol' Winnebago D20 Brave was my first "home". Never looked at anything else, and was actually considerin' a simple "Father-in-law" trailer to spend summer visits with my family. The Brave was near perfect! A Classic to be proud of! Easy to work on and repair, could drive and park ANYWHERE, and carried most all I needed with sufficient space and elbow room.

I was jus about to "winterize" it, since I'm expecting to not no leave Michigan till mid January. I jus received new widow seals this week,... I didn't even open the box. Was preparing to insulate and enclose some sensitive areas, and add tank warmers. I'm hoping to settle in to something soon to make sure such preps are done in time for hard freezes.

The D20 was actually minimal for me, and I had to watch weight and do without some "extras". Another exact or similar size that might accept some salvaged parts from the wreckage would be GREAT! But I'm not of such a narrow mindset to not consider others! I personally like the Dodge based homes, but wouldn't rule out a Chevy base. NOTHING less than 20ft, and longer if of a "mini" style. It's that 160sqft of floor plan that's minimal. AND the essentials of sustained and self-contained living.

Actually considering a 77 Travco 320 that's nearby and sounds too dang good to pass up, but haven't had any luck getting a hold of the seller. Yes,... it's big. But also VERY Classic. Dodge chassis, lots of room and payload, and certainly all I would ever need. It's listed for $1250 and it's last run was a couple years ago, but little would be needed to go again.

There's also a 20 "Minnie" nearby, that might be sufficient. I think it might lack genset and dc batteries,... but I got those! Jus might take a look at it,.. it's listed for $2950

Price range,.... anything under $4000 would be considered. It's a great time of year to look for bargains.

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

fasteddie313

Quote from: DRMousseau on September 01, 2015, 03:02 PM
FastEddie!!! I am currently based at my family's home jus outside Kalkaska!!!

Ha, I am the next town north of Kalkaska on 131, Mancelona.. Glad to hear you have a family's home to base at..

It would not have been me in any rig out on I75, I am in the process of buying my first rig, possibly the chieftain, but don't have one quite yet..

Quote from: DRMousseau on September 01, 2015, 03:02 PMActually considering a 77 Travco 320 that's nearby and sounds too dang good to pass up, but haven't had any luck getting a hold of the seller.

Yeah he isn't answering the phone for me either, don't feel bad..

Check this one out.. https://nmi.craigslist.org/rvs/5137792136.html
81 holiday rambler at $2500, one I'm looking at also but I think you may need it more than I do...

Schmitti

A small part, for little money, can turn fortune in misfortune :'( :(
I'm really glad you came so off lightly since and I wish you good luck in your search, looking for a new home :) :)ThmbUp .

Thomas
Understeer is when you see the tree, if you'll take. Oversteer is when you only hear him on impact.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteCheck this one out.. https://nmi.craigslist.org/rvs/5137792136.html
81 holiday rambler at $2500, one I'm looking at also but I think you may need it more than I do...

If either one of you look at that rig, be sure to check the rear Mor-Ryde suspension rubber springs carefully. 
ClydesdaleKevin can tell you all about that system.

Also the tag axle brakes. 
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

For an RV based on the Dodge chassis, please consider looking for 74 or later so chassis parts are a little easier to locate.  The older M300 and M375 versions can be difficult for parts.

Almost all 74 and later TRAVCOs are based on the M500 chassis.  The exception is the 320 would be M600.  Both of these chassis use the larger 8R19.5 tires that are also used on many GM based P30 chassis.
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep.  Check to make sure the rubber mor ryde shear springs aren't cracked beyond specs...they aren't cheap, and you need 4 to 8 of them, depending on the exact setup...and they aren't easy to replace yourself.  As far as the Travco goes, it sounds like a steal if you can get in contact with the seller.  It always bugs me when a craigslist seller won't answer their emails or phone calls!  I've been trying to get in contact with a guy about a Brake Buddy that he keeps relisting, and he won't answer his emails, the only contact info in the ad.  As far as the 8r19.5 tires go...still a very common and easy to find size.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Froggy1936

Dr, Just a question for reference, How did the house battery,s survive. Were they bolted down ? or what way were they secured ? THis is something I fear in a shiny side down incident !  A direct short @ the battery,s is a serious fire hazard  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

DRMousseau

The batteries, both vehicle and house batteries, were a HUGE concern of mine!!! Well contained with little movement, the chance of shorting was always present. Nothing below the floor-line was damaged. The battery containment is pretty solid, and although the wall and access door separated away a bit, the heavy batteries did good. I warned the FD about the hazard and they cut the cables nearby. I then noted them to the salvage crew, and they placed insulating wood above them before righting the vehicle. No noticeable spillage from them either. The 2 brand new T-120's have been recovered, as well as the old vehicle 12V I was soon to replace. I will remove the battery monitor system I had jus installed, along with the new converter and inverter systems.

I had great concerns of fire thru the entire incident. Gasoline had begun leaking due to electric fuel pump still running with vehicle on it's side. Carb floats don't work so good that way. As we moved away quickly with the concern of fuel leaking and possible ignition on hot engine surfaces or from electrical systems, I rushed back and pulled the wire from the exposed fuel pump and stopped it hoping it wouldn't syphon more. There was also my concern of propane leakage due to damaged lines to the various dislocated appliances. The water heater was not on or in-service at the time, and was the only appliance NOT knocked loose. The fridge and oven pilot were the only operating appliances and one tank was open for these. Copper connecting lines were twisted and smashed, but no sever leaking damage. The tanks and cabinet were completely undamaged, but inaccessible until the vehicle was righted up. That was a long time, for pilot flames and unknown leakage!!! I WAS VERY CONCERNED!!! Never been fond of pilot lights, regardless of safety features. The heavy generator remained firm and was undamaged,... this too will be recovered.

Both 20# propane tanks have also been recovered, one full and one about half full. Also recovered about 40Gals of gasoline for use in other vehicles. Most all personal and household items have been recovered and most tools. TV and notebook, all phones, toaster oven and microwave (slight damage) have been recovered too. A few damaged and lost dishes, cups and glasses, some lost and damaged linens. Of  course EVERYTHING is misplaced, and recovery is still ongoing. One cell phone was lost for two days in the rubble, but recovered undamaged. A dozen eggs were recovered undamaged as well, LoL!

Much of this could have been completely lost had fire erupted, even fire prevention efforts could have been damaging, with water, foam, or chemical applications, I was fortunate in that neither occurred, AND the salvage company worked closely with me in the recovery. I'll soon start salvage efforts, there's a great deal of copper and aluminum here, some salvageable, some scrap. My three special designed $100 aluminum canopy pole set is undamaged,... yeah! And I'll have some other items available soon to list for sale in my recovery efforts.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

LJ-TJ

It's all good news. Good stuff. For what it's worth I have seen striped down Winnebago Chassis minus all the crap but all the frame and running gear sold as a unit. I don't know how bad yours is but might be a consideration. Anyway glad to hear ever body is OK. Don't for get to drop in every now and then and let us know how your making out. Maybe what kind of rig you've bought if you buy one.

DRMousseau

I may have someone interested in engine and trans,... and it may jus be a matter of bargaining in the last remaining scrap or salvage decisions, and having what remains be removed from the premises here.

OH,... and unable to locate that Travco in spite of extended efforts, but I happened upon another GREAT offer!!!

Looks my new home will be an '87 Georgie Boy, Cruise Air II,.... 34' foot I think, on a Ford base. Needs a through tune-up and transmission servicing, and some very minor repairs. The big Onan is not mounted or in operation, but a minor issue to me. Needs house batteries,... and I happen to have a good pair. The fridge was replaced with a cheap small household unit,... and I'll likely replace it with the one from the ol' Winnebago. It may be old, and a bit smaller, but works well on electric OR propane and is FAR more economical than household units. A minor leak was found causing damage on the passenger side windshield rail and cabinet above. A new roof is not beyond my abilities and MAY be necessary, or maybe jus a seal coat or minor repair. The electric steps don't currently operate for an unknown issue,... again, nothing serious.

I will be giving up the versatility of the D20's service as an everyday vehicle,... maybe. The Georgie Boy is more like a bus, rather than the delivery truck ease of the ol' Winnebago. It will require a full double parking space at the shopping center, and might be a problem for short driveways, and small campsites. Mileage is nearly the same, and I don't expect operating costs and expenses to be much different. It does have a 50A system and I will gain about twice the square feet of living space, as a VERY nice and comfortable AIR CONDITIONED home,... a big step above the "cabin" style life in the D20. Offering PLENTY of storage including low "basement" storage of heavy tools, parts and necessities, Georgie Boy will require me to STILL watch my "weight issues", but perhaps not as critical as the D20. The comforts of a "bedroom" and full "roomy"(?) bathroom facilities will be appreciated with much delight. I'm sure have some added expenses in heating and cooling, as long as I'm not freezing, or melting,... this shouldn't be much of an issue.

But I'm finding FAR LESS resources of info, than what's found available for Classic Winnebago's!!!

It was offered special to me as a replacement for my home, for only $1500!!! Includes new, yet to be installed rear camera system.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

JessEm

There's a 75 Brave near me someone could probably have for $1500. Local used car lot owner took it in. It think he's into it for around 1K... The seller drove it 40+ miles to get it there, so it definitely runs. Decent looking condition. Interior is remarkable for being the original. 24' range... It sounds like you may have already found something but if you need any info on this one, let me know. I have a couple 40# propane tanks you can have if you should happen to make it over this way (I'm sure MI, like MN, gets coooold in the winter, and those furnaces need juice.) Happy to hear you're getting back on your feet.  :)ThmbUp

TerryH

"A minor leak was found causing damage on the passenger side windshield rail and cabinet above."

Just a note about the above - if you are referring to a windshield leak at the pinch weld you may want to be careful. Some states and provinces have regulations regarding the ratio of rusted or damaged pinch weld to non damaged permissible for windshield replacement OR possible insurance difficulties. Pinch weld bond to windshield is considered structural.
Fortunately, in most of the mid 1980 and above units you can easily remove the interior windshield trim to inspect.
Something you may wish to consider while inspecting.
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteLooks my new home will be an '87 Georgie Boy, Cruise Air II,.... 34' foot I think, on a Ford base.

Is it a Ford chassis or a John Deere chassis with a 460 Ford engine?
[move][/move]

LJ-TJ

Well if your going to take up two parking spots and your going to go big, you might as well go big. http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/rvs/5156057518.html

Froggy1936

Nothing beats good luck, Eggs, Amazing . I am going to change my way of travel, Currently I run my fridge on propane wile traveling. Mostly due to I thought that that the 12V staying on full @ all times was a problem (learned that this is normal) So I am going to use the 12V wile traveling and close the propane at the tank Just as I shut off the water pump in case of a vibration caused leak Also the putting off of secureing the 2 12V house batterys will become a major issue for ASAP . If I ever update I will definatly want double beds So I can flop down without having to dissessemble the table ! Good luck on continueing on Frank 
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

LJ-TJ

DRMousseau

Yes Frank,... I think ALL might benefit from looking jus a bit closer at the safety of our older, outdated systems.

I rarely leave the water-pump on for any reason, just too easy to flip the switch when needed, and turning it off after use. I always check it when leaving my home unattended for any length of time, always concerned about water damage that could have easily been prevented.

I shut down the furnace and water-heater whenever underway, but I've foolishly left the fridge and oven pilots. The fridge keeps cold well, no reason not to shut it down or switch to AC when under way. And the oven? It's a constant pilot, and I'm ALWAYS concerned of it. I've wanted a shutoff on it, since I rarely use the oven. One thing for certain, all propane sources will now be shut down by me when underway and/or if left unattended for any time.

I will also now be sure batteries are SECURLY positioned and contained, and that all terminals are well protected from any contact. I may also consider heavy isolator switches accessible from the outside, to completely shut down and isolate ALL chassis and compartment batteries as needed... likely safer than disconnecting terminal cables anyway. I'm always concerned of arching near the battery caps when disconnecting batteries for service or electrical work, especially when batteries are, or have been, charging,... I typically remove the negative cable from the frame or chassis ground first, jus for this very reason. Yes,... batteries can and DO explode. I've been VERY fortunate and lucky in my numerous experiences, and do all I can now to reduce this likely hood. But surely I can do more!!! Think I will consider fuel systems more too. Most fuel-pumps do have anti-syphoning valves, and I've always mounted them as close to the source tanks as possible, well protected within the chassis frame, but overriding shutoffs will be much more important to me now.

Dave- I ASSUMED this Georgie Boy is on a Ford Chassis, it does have a Ford 460 engine and "Ford" emblems on the steering wheel center and elsewhere, although I'm not terribly familiar, but I will be soon!!! lol!!!

It'll be nice having an actual "bedroom", and the electric sofa looks fine for napping, haha! There are other nice features, and I'll accept the limitations of a bigger more comfortable home such as this.
Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

LJ-TJ

A 460 Ford! WELL I don't know much about much BUT I have a 460 in my 1978 Ford half ton which my Dad bought new in 1978 and we've never been able to get better than 5 miles to the gallon with her. No matter what we did. 5 miles to the gallon was it. D:oH!

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteDave- I ASSUMED this Georgie Boy is on a Ford Chassis, it does have a Ford 460 engine and "Ford" emblems on the steering wheel center and elsewhere, although I'm not terribly familiar, but I will be soon!!! lol!!!

Info:
John Deere chassis with a 460 Ford engine was used by some mfg's between 87 and 90.  We have the JD Service manual and parts manual here onsite.  JD used many Ford parts (e.g. 460 engine, steering column, etc.)

My research of the Ford F53 MH chassis indicates first production year was 1988.  I have a hunch it was based on the original JD chassis.
[move][/move]