1979 "Never Used" Carriage 5th wheel -- What challenges?

Started by bluekayak, September 02, 2015, 10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluekayak

Hi All,

I just called about a 1979, 35 foot Carriage fifth wheel for sale that was used as an office while sitting inside a larger building. I was told it was used only as an office and never moved until last year when it was taken outside. I am concerned there could be some water damage. I doubt anybody ever went up on the roof.

It has a fiberglass roof, front cap, and end cap. The sides are aluminum. The owner said it had a GVWR of 8,000 pounds, but I expected it to be heavier. Does 8,000 pound seem reasonable?

I asked the owner about the tires (original); propane tank (never filled); fridge, oven, hot water heater, furnace etc. (never used), battery and A/C (none).

The roof, front cap, and end cap are fiberglass. The sides are aluminum.

Obviously, it needs tires and a battery and we would also like to add air conditioning.

Is this rig something a person should even consider purchasing, or would one expect too many problems from lack of use?

What would you look for if you were considering purchasing this rig?

If you were to purchase it, what things would you take care of immediately before towing it any distance?

Lefty

Hello,
I would say that if it has a fiberglass roof, and end caps, and has never been in the weather until last year, it should be in remarkable condition. Fiberglass is most vulnerable to UV damage, which if it was inside a building all it's life, it should have been protected. The tires, if original, would need replacing... even if stored inside. They would long since become dry rotted beyond being safe to put into road service. Brakes, if electric, should be perfectly fine. Magnets don't go bad with age. I'd inspect the wiring to ensure rodents have not eaten thru any insulation though first. If they are hydraulic (some 70's trailers were), then a total rebuild and flush would be required.
As for the appliances, I would expect them all to work fine. If not, they are all pre-electronic models that are very simple to work on and repair.

Before buying, I would get a ladder and walk the roof inspecting for any damage or stress cracks. I'd also do it to see if it feels solid. It should be as solid as walking on concrete. If it gives any, that is a sign of rot or water damage, even if it is not visible.
I would also bring a 20lb propane tank and hook it up and test all hte appliances and water heater. Especially test the furnace. Hook it up to 110v electric and test that the fridge works on 110v, as well as that the converter is powering the 12v lighting. Hook it up to a water hose and test the entire plumbing system.
I'd also bring a 12v car battery and test the 12v system with it unplugged from 110v. test that the lights inside all work, and that the 12v water pump works. The furnace should also work off 12v if the propane is turned on.
I would assume the wheel bearings need repacking, and new wheel seals needed.

Adding a roof A/C unit should not be an issue. It should have been an available option, and thus likely has the wiring for it pre-installed. You can remove the interior portion of the roof vent, and see if the 110v wiring is tucked in there. The one nearest the center of the trailer is the likeliest position.
As for weight, I would verify that by looking at the data sticker located on the front left side of the trailer. It should list the trailers GVWR, as well as the Axle weight limits. Never take a sellers word for anything.

Good luck, and post pics.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

bluekayak

Hi Lefty,

Thanks so much for your quick response. We'll call the owner and see if she can show it to us this weekend.

Hi Oz,

Thanks for all of your work on this site.

Oz

Good 2 go, blue... once you've found that vintage RV that's going to be your baby, you can update your profile and the info will be proudly displayed on all of your posts!

:) :)ThmbUp
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

bluekayak

Hi Lefty,

I never did see the Carriage fifth wheel, but your answer helped me immensely. We ended up going to the opposite end of the state and purchased a 1990 Winnebago Elandan that had spent almost all of its life in a garage and not used until sold in 2012 or 2013. Most of the appliances had not been used. I don't believe the stove, oven, or microwave had ever been used. The fridge had very little use and the ice cube trays were still wrapped in plastic, as were the lamps and the mattress. The odometer had less than 1,500 miles and the generator had 4.1 hours. 

Rickf1985

Sounds like you got the deal of a life time! Don't get complacent though, the window and roof seals and caulk are still 25 years old and will need close inspection. It would be a shame to let a leak get going now. And make sure you have new tires! Other than that enjoy!

bluekayak

Thanks for the tips Rick. I took off today planning to put Dicor on the roof. There are several spots that need it. Right now it is pouring. I hope I don't have too many leaks.

The Hancock tires have a DOT code from the fourth week of 2012.

It has the foam headliner separation, but with the tips in this forum, we should be able to fix that. I am thinking of either using some wood screen molding or plastic rosettes designed for the purpose.