North Carolina, 2015

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, September 28, 2015, 09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

And a new chapter begins!  We are about to pack down, clean up the shop, and get the RV ready to hit the road to Huntersville, NC!  435 miles.  We are going to try to make the whole trip today, weather permitting.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

Weather does not look to bad, drive safe.

Froggy1936

"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

joanfenn

Well quit wasting time and get moving, you have a deadline. N:(

Safe travels, Kevin.

ClydesdaleKevin

WOW what an adventure!  435 miles of rain, fog, wipers that only wanted to work intermittently, and the hills of West Virginia and Virginia along 35, I-64, and I-77.  The hills weren't too bad, but it got dark on us the night before last and I didn't want to drive in the dark anymore when the roads were so curvy.  So we spent the night at a rest stop about 40 miles past Charleston, WV.  I would have posted a status report, but there was NO internet service or even phone service (and we have Verizon)...and not even any TV...lol!  Drove the rest today, and made it into camp.  Which is a mud hole, but we got the rig in and level because we know what we are doing after all these years.  We set up camp, Patti even has her Satellite TV set up already, and we are feasting on Bo Jangles chicken tonight.  Tomorrow we have to set up the workshop and our display tent completely...which will give us 2 full days of production before the weekend.  We'll make it work!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

joanfenn

Good to hear that you made it safely. :)clap   When does your vacation start?  Sounds of things you will need a break soon.

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteSo we spent the night at a rest stop about 40 miles past Charleston, WV.  I would have posted a status report, but there was NO internet service or even phone service (and we have Verizon)...and not even any TV...lol!

Something about WV ......   Hm?

Not sure about your location but east coast is going to be soaked for several days due to the tropical storm off the coast.  Already getting flash flood warnings in the DC region.

[move][/move]

Rickf1985

We got HAMMERED with rain last night here in Jersey. Needed the rain bad though. It was all soaked in by morning and I'll bet there was a good 2-3" of solid heavy rain for several hours during the night. That would usually leave my yard a lake, no water in the yard at all! And yes, the RV is STILL leaking! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! $@!#@! I wonder if I can get Eternabond 8' wide by 32' feet long? Hm? :)rotflmao

ClydesdaleKevin

WOW its hot and humid here.  And the front AC unit crapped the bed!  Just over 2 years old now, and out of warranty!!!  Of course. 

Piece of crap new Coleman made in China garbage! 

I was out working on setting up the workshop, when a friend of mine yelled to me, "Hey!  Smoke is coming off your roof!"  It looked like smoke was coming out of the shroud, so I climbed up on the roof, and it didn't smell like smoke.  Came back inside, and it wasn't blowing cold anymore.  My guess is that it blew a freon leak.

I do not like new Coleman AC units AT ALL!!!  They are garbage compared to other modern brands, and total crap compared to vintage Colemans.  Our Rear AC is a vintage 1989 Coleman Supermach...and still blows nice and cold.  But its position in the rear bedroom requires running fans to circulate the air forward, and it barely keeps the rig cool enough. 

So I checked on eBay and got some prices on Dometic 15K Brisk Air 2 air conditioners with the inside ceiling unit...yikes!  Then I checked on Craigslist...and bingo!!!  22 miles away in Charlotte is an RV dealer called Campers Paradise.  580 bucks out the door, including the ceiling unit.  We will be driving down there first thing in the morning to pick one up!  Hopefully it doesn't rain tomorrow so I can install it.

So yeah...that is what I'll be doing first thing tomorrow, and weather permitting, get it installed.  I set up the workshop tent today in the extreme heat and mud, so that's all done.  I had to go to Lowes and buy a Rhino garden cart for a 140 bucks, because my tools were down in an area that the Faire doesn't want anyone driving in because of the mud.  But they were too heavy and too many to carry by hand to camp, so I now own a tiny little trailer...lol!

Tomorrow morning we'll pick up the air conditioner, come back and install it, and then set up our Underhill pavilion and get our booth ready for the weekend, or at least mostly ready.  We can finish it up and prettify it on Friday.

Its supposed to rain like hell all weekend, so we are just going to fly with the stock we have.

The new campround here is in full sun all day, all rigs facing North to South, and its a mud hole.  It wasn't compacted, and only 2 inches of gravel laid out over wet clay.  It has been raining constantly for about 10 days in this area, way wetter than usual, so its not the Faire's fault...they did the best they could and spent a fortune...but mother nature can be a beotch. 

And...the water is out, and no definite answer when its going to be up again.  So I bought 3 big jugs of water while I was out this afternoon.  I hope they get it working again before the weekend, or else our patrons are going to have a very realistic olfactory experience of what the Renaissance was really like...lol!

Kev

circleD

Yep! Welcome to NC where its always humid even in the winter months. Good news is that its going to be cold for a week here but possible 6" of rain.

Rickf1985

Cold and rainy, I don't think that is good news for Kevin. N:(

ClydesdaleKevin

Yep.  Waiting on the portapotty guy to drop off the holding tank...and then we have to go get the AC unit.  Today is the only day for the next several where it MIGHT not rain until early evening. 

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

So after the portapotty guy finally got here, Patti and I drove down to Camper's Paradise and bought the Dometic Brisk Air 2 air conditioner.  580 bucks out the door, and that included the inside ceiling unit!  And because they are primarily an online business/warehouse, if the debit/credit card you use has an out of state billing address like ours does, they don't charge tax! SWEET!  And its only 22 miles away from the Faire!

We got it back to camp, up on the roof (my truck is tall enough, so I was able to stand on the truck roof, and lift the AC, still in the box, up onto the roof), and the install was quick and painless.  The only thing I had to do in addition to the normal install was extend the wires that come out of the RV's stock location, since the Dometic is wired in the front, and not the rear like the Coleman.

WOW what a nice unit!  WAY better made than the new Coleman Machs.  And the ceiling control is very well made, with a nice SEALED washable filter.  It even has an air shower feature similar to the no longer made Carriers. 

About the same noise level as the Coleman, but more airflow, and easier to direct the airflow.  Ice cold baby!  Of course, now its cold in Carolina, so we aren't using it...lol!

Oh...and the water is back on in the campground.

And the hurricane is supposed to hit us with about 12 inches of rain over the weekend.

Yay!

:(

Kev

HandyDan

Glad to hear all is well in Renaissance Land.  I saw on the news that the hurricane should miss the states all together.  Hope the rain isn't as bad as predicted.  That could put a damper on a lot of things.  LOL  My front Coleman  gave up a couple of years ago and I replaced it with a newer used Dometic.  Although it works well, it was more complicated to install than the Coleman, and it tends to ice up often.  I have been considering buying a new one.  While at Colaws RV Salvage yesterday I saw they had the Dometics on sale for about what you paid for yours.  However, I was with a friend in his car and had no way to get it home, so I passed on it for now.  Glad to hear they are easy to install.  I may be going back soon.  Colaws is a great place to spend a couple of hours.  I found the little piece that goes on the windshield wiper to direct the flow of washer fluid onto the windshield.  I accidentally broke off one of the ones on my HR. 
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Dan!  The Faire is delaying opening day until Sunday, although we are all set up and ready to open.  North Carolina declared a state of emergency, and we are under flash flood warnings, even though it isn't raining all that hard right now.

Installing the new Dometic was fairly straightforward, although there is a foam separator piece you have to cut, and I had to extend my wires a bit to reach the circuit box.  Also...for soft vinyl foam ceilings like our Holiday Ramblers, installing the inside ceiling unit is a bit different from the directions.  In the directions, you are supposed to secure the plastic ceiling unit to the metal frame with 2 sheet metal screws, and that part is the same.  And then you are supposed to use 8 more screws, 2 in each vent, to secure the plastic frame to your ceiling, which in the HR just isn't possible.  Solution!  Replace those screws with velcro strips at each vent, sticking one side right to the ceiling, and the other side to the plastic where the screws would come out.  Works flawlessly, and you can't see any gaps around the plastic ceiling assembly.

So far its not raining here...just a misting.  But they SAY we are supposed to get hit hard tonight, and all day tomorrow.  Either way, we are ready to open tomorrow...and since the Faire has delayed opening day, we have a day off!

Kev

M & J

Yeah, just aboot all forecasts have the hurricane staying at sea now. I talked with CircleD this morning - he lives not far from where the faire is and he said 7" is predicted. Either way not a good deal for anyone.
M & J

circleD

The rain and wind is not from the hurricane. Its a gulf storm we usually get. If you're in the same camping spot as last year Kev, the wind shouldn't be to bad. Gust up to 30 mph. Good luck to you and stay dry.

ClydesdaleKevin

They built a new kitchen were our old camping spot was.  We are over in a new area, recently excavated.  They really did a nice job and spent a lot of money putting in graveled flat campsites, each with water and 30 amp service...sadly, the amount of rain that has been pounding this area has turned it into a mire.  We got in no problem (although we sank in pretty deep and made ruts), but a LOT of the campers are still out in the parking lot and will be until next week...its just too wet for most to get in.

Kev

Rickf1985

NOW, Will you be able to get out? Hm?

DaveVA78Chieftain

Just remember, metal rain gutter leaf guards can be placed under the wheels for traction.  Saved me at Pocono raceway a while back.
[move][/move]

ClydesdaleKevin

Great idea, Dave!  Hopefully it will be dry when we leave, and its slightly downhill to get out.

And Rick...what do you think, bro?  LOL!!!  I've already helped pull out a couple of trucks and an RV this week.

:)clap

Kev

Rickf1985

Looking good, now on you need is a winch. Most of my exploring was alone so I always had a winch and enough tools to repair dang near anything. I have rebuilt starters, alternators, differentials in the woods.

M & J

How is everyone doing east and along the coast? Bad weather and storms is where Gear Box would be handy for everyone to check in.
M & J

Rickf1985

Other than cold and nasty we are just fine here. Heavy rain Thursday through Saturday morning and light rain til this morning. Hopefully it will clear up by tomorrow. Believe it or not it has all soaked in. We needed rain BAD!