Information on replacing the floor of a 1966 Winnebago 217R Travel Trailer

Started by 1966, November 15, 2015, 07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well I'm back at it again! Can't seem to make up my mind I guess I like a challenge.  i??

Rickf1985

You have a lot of work ahead of you but you seem to have a good start on it. Just so you know, the boards you have holding it up are much stronger on edge than they are one the flat. What you have there should be fine for what you are holding but just for future reference.

I've got to get this on done I have another one waiting me. Needs all wood replaced (termite damage). 1963 Avion T20 :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

You are really a glutton for punishment but I admire your tenacity. That is water damage, not termites. I have never seen termites in a trailer and I don't think you ever will unless it is sitting flat on the ground. Termites need direct contact with the ground to wood since they live underground and travel through mud and wood dust tunnels. Now you could have damage from carpenter ants, Large black ants, that is common and they tend to come from trees which hang down on vehicles that are parked under them.

Rick believe me it is termites! There is enough termite poop and carcasses to fill a sand box. The previous owner said there used to be a large tree beside the trailer and the termites migrated into the trailer. It should be an easier fix than the winne. By the way Rick we have different termites down here in Florida. If you get bored come on down I'll put you to work.

M & J

Rick is already committed to a stop in Kentucky before he heads to Florida.  :)
M & J

Rickf1985

I'll bring some of out NJ mice down to fight your Florida termites. I still have never seen termites attack an above ground structure without direct ground contact. I'll take your word for it but the overhanging tree scenario sounds like carpenter ants. No matter, they all do substantial damage.
I figure one test drive in J's blazer and they will throw me out of Kentucky! ??? :)rotflmao
And I will deal with termites over fire ants any day!

M & J

Rick, you told me if you ever came to Kentucky you probably wouldn't leave. Just repeating what you said.... :)
M & J

Rickf1985

Hi guys
  Well I finally had a chance to get some more accomplished on the bago. Welded in some cross braces for the plywood, glued and clamped in the first piece of lower wall support and painted the front part of the frame that I wire wheeled. Its 8 PM  time to call it a night and go watch some playoff football! GO Cardinals !

Moving right along. Finally got rid of all the nasty floor! I'm really having fun now :)clap

DaveVA78Chieftain

Look ma, it's like one of the them glass bottom boats in Florida.  Ya can see everything under ya!   :)rotflmao
[move][/move]

Well we have made a little more progress on the Winne. Rebuilt the pullout step using an old garden cart for the framing and a piece of aluminum step plate from my old truck box. welded a few patches on the frame, cleaned and painted. Painted the underside and edges of the plywood floor with a two part water repelling paint. Lowered the shell on it for a test fit and surprised the wife with a Valentines dinner in the front dining area, she loved it! First time laying linoleum came out great. Lowered the shell back down for the final time attaching it down with 4 inch screws every 6 inches. Next step is replace the rotted wood in all 4 corners and then replace the roof. Taking the day off to watch the Great American Race! :)

joanfenn