running generator for Air conditoner on the road, any negatives ?

Started by Idahored, July 23, 2017, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idahored

I've never considered using the genny to run the roof AC while going down the road, but I've read some posts from some that do. It gets dang HOT here in SW Idaho in the summer, and sometimes the dash AC doesn't quite do the job at times. So, any possible negatives in running it to power the AC while driving ?
Idahored
Mtn Home, Id
1995 Itasca Passage 23RC

M & J

None except fuel consumption. I've done it, and as you said many do for the same reason.
M & J

enigma960080

I do it ALL THE TIME. Be sure to check your genny oil frequently.
2000 Fleetwood Southwind 32V--deceased
2001 National RV Dolphin M-5332

tmsnyder

What's your comfort worth?  It could burn up to a gallon an hour, that's on the high side.  Depends on the generator.   I choose to run mine. 

Idahored

Quote from: Idahored on July 23, 2017, 05:11 PM
I've never considered using the genny to run the roof AC while going down the road, but I've read some posts from some that do. It gets dang HOT here in SW Idaho in the summer, and sometimes the dash AC doesn't quite do the job at times. So, any possible negatives in running it to power the AC while driving ?

Well with a 700 mile trip planned for this week, and temps to get to around the 100 degree mark, I'll give it a try :) Thanks for the input .
Idahored
Mtn Home, Id
1995 Itasca Passage 23RC

circleD

Everytime I go for a drive I fire it up and run both units. It keeps everything maintained and it's usually 1 gallon an hour. I have a 6.5kw Onan.

Rickf1985

If you are only running the front one you will probably want to hang a blanket across the midpoint of the coach to keep the cool air up front.

Winnebago Warrior 94

well I didn't  know you can run your generator while driving your rv down the road..thats pretty awesome being as my ac does not work from the dash but the overhead unit does blow cold air ..may have to give that a try ...can you run your refridgerator  with the generator too while your driving ?

Rickf1985

You can run anything on 110 volt while the generator is running. Be SURE to turn it off while getting gas and don't turn it back on until you have pulled away from the gas pumps just to be safe.

tmsnyder

The other thing I found quite nice was a household oscillating fan.   

I run an invertor to keep my dorm-style fridge running off two coach batteries while on the road, so I have 120V throughout the coach even without the generator running and when it's hot but not so hot that you need the roof A/C running, it's really nice to just run some oscillating fans on the driver and passengers.   

ErikTande

I just drove from Colorado to Minnesota and back.  It was always above 90 degrees outside and I ran the generator and roof AC the whole time since my dash AC doesn't work at the moment.   It was a life saver.       

It did give me trouble for a few hours on the way back though.   At one point the AC kept throwing the breaker switch, but only when we were driving.   Pull over and stop and it worked fine.   As soon as we hopped on the highway the circuit breaker would flip and we would lose AC.      I never did figure out what was causing it because it seemed to resolve itself after about 3 hours.   i??   I was just happy to have AC  :)

WrigleysBraveWin

When I picked up my RV in 110 degree weather I was advised to run Generator and Overhead AC and avoid dash AC if at all possible as the dash AC does drag on the engine and will make engine run harder and possible overheat issue and you will get better gas mileage if dash AC is not on, which will help offset Generator gas usage.

But of course running both dash and overhead AC will result in the highest gas usage but what the heck at $2.50 a gallon let 'em run baby.

Also with Generator running you now have electric for fans and whatever!
Today is the youngest you'll ever be!

plockit007

Same answer. I have not done it personally. However being a retired GI do it. Think of yourself going down the road "HOT AS H****"  :(

The temperature is blistering you can see the heat coming off the asphalt. Birds sweating on the side of the road.
Holding there Wings out parched by the heat "Water"!!!!, "Water"!!!!. Then just as you stop to offer a drink here come the Zombies. :)clap

I can't wait for the Walking Dead to Start   Turn on the A/C  Margaret!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When we stop  to refuel you monitor the Generator gas tank........ :)rotflmao

Idahored

Quote from: Idahored on July 23, 2017, 05:11 PM
We just got back from a 700 mile trip, in 100 degree temps. I ran the genny and AC the whole way. Never turned on the dash AC. In my little 23 ft coach it worked greaaaaaaT ! Definitly made the whole trip much more pleasant ! :)ThmbUp,
Idahored
Mtn Home, Id
1995 Itasca Passage 23RC

Winnebago Warrior 94

I actually ran mine a couple of months ago and it worked ..super glad about that ..I do need to go get the a.c. dash checked to see what is wrong with it and what kinds damageits going to cost ..hopefully nothing major..