How can my generator still run when the spark plug gap is way off?!

Started by boohoo222, October 26, 2017, 07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boohoo222

onan 6.5 nh gen--running fair,  checked sparkplugs during maint. and gap was (#1-.044) (#2-.045), book says they should be set at  .025------how could it be running at that gap and if i set it at .025 would i need to reset the point gap D:oH!
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

MotorPro

Rickf1985

It will run at that gap but it is really stressing the coil! Goes to prove you have a strong coil.

boohoo222

i regaped to .025 and will install tomorrow, i would hate to get a zap from that coil ???
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

CapnDirk

I just last month was working on a 6.5 genset.  I did not recognise the plug number but later confirmed they were the correct plugs.  One problem was a hard start.  Checked gap and found they were set to .036 and found the same thing that they should be .025.  My thoughts were that if the coil was intended to jump .025 then that is what it should be.  I re-gapped the plugs, cleaned the points and it fired right up.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

boohoo222

CapnDirk

I wonder if people are throwing plugs into their gensets right out of the box
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

Probably considering most plugs nowadays are designed not to be regapped. I just today changed the plugs in my wife's Ford Escape, We bought it used and it now has 140,000 on it. I will bet the plugs had never been done. Considering the intake manifold has to come off to change them it is not a simple job. I measured the gap at between .075 and .089! It calls for .053- .056. Yea, it had an intermittent miss and ran like crap. Hm? W%