purring then choking

Started by boohoo222, November 02, 2017, 07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boohoo222

onan 6500nh, cranks and purrs like a kitten----starts without choke, but about 2 min of running the choke comes on an it starts puffing a little black smoke and starts hunting, any ideas i??
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

CapnDirk

The choke comes on AFTER it warms up?
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"

Rickf1985

I doubt it is starting without the choke, it is probably starting with the choke on and then as it warms up the choke is not needed but is not shutting off. I didn't look up that genny but it is most likely an electric choke, best case is a loose wire worst case is a burnt out choke. Both repairable.

boohoo222

the choke is compleatly off when it starts and when it warms up the choke comes on 1/2 way
1978 dodge coachmen class c 23ft                       1978 chevy open road class b

MotorPro

Quote from: boohoo222 on November 03, 2017, 09:12 AM
the choke is compleatly off when it starts and when it warms up the choke comes on 1/2 way
remove the black cap on the choke ... The choke lever is on the wrong side of the spring

boohoo222

i will check that out,,,thanks

CapnDirk

X2 what Motorpro said.  That's why I asked for the clarification.
"Anything given sufficient propulsion will fly!  Rule one!  Maintain propulsion"

"I say we nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure"