Clutch Fan 440

Started by LJ-TJ, October 27, 2018, 11:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Got a heck of an over heating problem and I'm figuring it's either the water pump or the clutch fan. I figured I'd start with the clutch fan. Anybody have a N.A.P.A / Auto Zone / Advance Auto / Pet Boys part number for a 440-3. Shoot anybody got parts numbers for the thermostat,water pump and clutch fan?????????????Thanks.

Sasquatch

While I do not have the part numbers handy, back when I had a fan clutch, I just purchased one for the same year dodge one ton truck with the same motor (440 for me).  Same with the water pump.  For the thermostat it needs a skirted thermostat and there is a thread on here somewhere that has the information.  I ordered mine from Jegs or Summit, I dont remember.  There are also high flow waterpumps available from those sources for the street rod guys if you want something better.  I used a NAPA one last time I did mine and have had no problems.

But first things first.  You should hear your fan clutch engage when it warms up.  In fact, it should be locked on a cold start until the revs come up and you should be able to hear it engage and disengage.  Exactly why I ditched it for electric.  Also check for thermostat operation.  It is easy to pull and just plop it in a pan on the stove with water in it.  As the water nears boiling you should watch it open.  Heck, someone could have put a standard 440 thermostat in there which is no bueno for RV's.