Brake Shoes for 73 RM 400

Started by Speedingbullitt, November 01, 2018, 11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Speedingbullitt

Hi Everyone,

I was looking for some rear brake shoes p/n's on Daves site and found Raybestos 88PG listed in one area, but other Raybestos part numbers part numbers in other areas list 402PG.  This is for a 73 model year Chieftain with a RM400 chassis R5 vin.  Can anyone confirm the 88PG p/n is good.  These are for the 15X4 rear shoes.

Also some areas list the rear cylinders at 1 3/8" bore and others list 1 1/2" bore as well?  Any insight into how I can tell what I have before ripping everything apart?

Appreciate any insight!

Thanks.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sorry about delay in responding as I have been out of town the last several days.

Dodge switched the the RM designations in 1975 and made that retroactive to 1973 so, first, I want to make sure you have a a RM400 (redefined as RM500 in 1975) so do you have 19.5" tires that would have used rear 15"x4" brakes?  If you have 17.5" tires, you have a RM350 (redefined as RM400 in 1975) that used rear 12"x3" brakes.  The 12"x3" brake parts (Front: PGD87M or 7020; Rear: 358 or 314) are readily available under the RM350 monicure.  The rear 15"x4" brake parts (Front: PGD87M or 7020; Rear: 88PG) are difficult to locate. 

Dodge MH Brake Parts

The RM500 (RM400) front brake rotors are also different from the RM400 (RM350) brake rotors.
1973 & Later M300 / M400 (RM350) / M500 (RM400) / M600

As far as rear wheel cylinder diameter, you have to look to see which one you have.

Dave
[move][/move]

Speedingbullitt

Hi Dave,

Thanks for getting back to me really appreciate it!!  I just purchased the old girl and was expecting the M375 Chassis as it is a 73 Chieftain, but was pleasantly surprised to see the chassis data plate identify RM400.  At first I thought someone may have done a disc conversion on the front  when I looked and saw it had discs with 19.5 wheels, at least until i checked the data plate.  I think Winnebago data information showed a build date around March 73 and though the RM400 was not used until late 73 so I am still not quite sure how this occurred?  Is it unusual to have a 73 model with the RM400 chassis?  I thought I may have a 73.5 model year coach at first.

Either way I was happy until I saw the rear brake part availability issues with shoes and drums which appear unobtainium...any ideas on what to do incase the drum is out of spec?  I thought maybe finding a set a salvage yard may be an option, not sure if anyone knows an RV salvage yard that may deal with these?

Anyhow, Looks like the front pads are the same too, between the RM350 and RM400 (M500) which at least are available.  They guy I was talking to has surplus 88PG shoes and said he has some too without the PG nomenclature that look identical to the 88PG p/n.  He said the shoes have the same numbers stamped on them and look identical.  Does this make sense to anyone?  When I looked on the Raybestos site a search shows 88PG, but nothing for just "88"  He said the PG's are painted red and the non PG's are unpainted.

Either way, once I confirm I'd be happy to pass along the contact info to anyone who needs or wants to have a spare set of shoes on the shelf for their RM400 / M500 and up chassis.

Again, thanks for the insight Dave, very much appreciated!!!

Steve

DaveVA78Chieftain

I believe 88 is Service Grade and 88pg is Professional Grade.

Many TRAVCO rigs were based on the M375 and M500 (RM400) chassis.  Be sure to look at the TRAVCO site (eg: Parts Sticky for additional  info.
[move][/move]

Sasquatch

I get all my brake parts from Alretta truck parts http://www.alretta.com/.  If he does not have them, just have the shoes relined.  Many truck shops still do this.