Radiator 440 Re Core

Started by LJ-TJ, May 16, 2019, 08:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

Well lads. Just had my 1975 Winnebago Brave 440 rad re cored in Canada at a cost of $1000.00 dollars. Good/Bad  i??  It's said that a fool and his money are soon parted. However being inexperienced and having looked around for a better option I couldn't fine another set up that had the same mounting tabs and bots to the frame along with the filler neck extension out the front of the rad. Or had the proper mounting holes for the oil filler neck and the bolt holes for the dip stick mounting bracket. Plus it's a frigging huge rad.  D:oH!

Elandan2

That doesn't seem out of line. We had ours done on our one and only breakdown (knock on wood!!) in Rapid City SD in 2001. Cost just about the same in US $ then. Although we had to pay for labour, I had to take the front off the motorhome myself in the garage parking lot and it took a week because the nearest shop that could re-core it was in Sioux Falls SD, 400 miles away. Saw lots of the sights in Rapid City that trip.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

Rickf1985

I would have gone for an aluminum one for 200.00! The one in my later Chieftain has the front radiator fill extension so I am sure they make one for the earlier ones. Or one that could easily be modified for a lot less money. I am not at all against recores, I am against the poor quality Chinese cores that they are using. I am sure they are using the same ones up there that they are using here in the states.

LJ-TJ

:)ThmbUp  Couldn't agree with you more Rick. My problem is I don't know shoot from putty when it comes to mechanics. I've been screwed over by most mechanics I've ever dealt with. Best mechanics I've ever dealt with is right here. Sooooo not having your mechanical knowledge I  had to go with what I could figure out. Painful yep. Could I afford it Nup! But I know it will bolt in and everything will fit were it should.

LJ-TJ

I gotta tell yeah guys. This really is the best RV site on the internet. Without guys like Rick, Dave, Mark and a  lot of you who take the time to contribute. Many of us  would not be able to own a Classic Winnebago. Guys THANK YOU very much. :)ThmbUp

Rickf1985

Eh, You have an airplane, that means you are rich! :D :D :D :D :D :D

ClydesdaleKevin

Quote from: Rickf1985 on May 16, 2019, 05:05 PM
Eh, You have an airplane, that means you are rich! :D :D :D :D :D :D

LOL!  That just means he is REALLY in the poor house. 

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

LJ-TJ

W% With all due respect" People who live in a glass house shouldn't throw stones." Just saying. :)rotflmao :)rotflmao

cosmic

a 1000 buck..(f&*# me) you should have called me I have an extra in the shed... W% i??
in retrospect you have a rad good for another 30 years...

LJ-TJ

D:oH! Now he tells me. Joe is coming from the other side of Ottawa Tuesday to pick up the chassis air conditioner. :)ThmbUp