The trip from hell! Now the drive shaft ended up on the highway!

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, December 15, 2018, 08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey folks.  Even if you can't donate, could you please share this on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts?

Thank you so much!

https://www.gofundme.com/get-siege-the-day-back-on-the-road

Kevin and Patti
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

BrandonMc

I've always thought that after my classic RV gives up the ghost, I will park it on my land as a guest house. best of luck to you!

Oz

Kev,

I don't see any way to donate using PayPal with GoFundMe.  I want to send donation from the CWVRV fund.  PM me with your paypal info, please!

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

tmsnyder

I would fix it, there's not much that's cheaper to work on and fix than a chevy 454 and th400 tranny, common parts, huge pool of people that can fix them.  I just think if you get into a diesel pusher you'll be looking at much more $ to fix, b/c lets face it, they all break eventually.   I'd rather be able to work on it myself or if needed, have a part fixed at a common shop.  Not so with a diesel.  those are for much deeper pockets.

Personally, I'd go with a used th400 and baby it, or if I wanted to never touch it again, take it to a shop and have them bullet proof it.

Then make sure the cooling system was totally up to snuff and get a gage on there to make sure.   

Froggy1936

I agree you are better with the Bugger you know. You have made a lot of improvements that have not paid for themselves yet .   Plan on spending the rest of the winter in Florida ( What a bad break)   Replace it with a guaranteed used one or have one rebuilt You will have some spare parts if needed from your broken one . That gives ya at least 4 Mo to replace the trans . I would also check the front motor mounts after all that shifting and age They are susceptible Good Luck Frank  Happy Holidays
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks for the suggestions guys!  For now, Merry Christmas to all of you!  And a special thank you for the generous personal donation from Mark our leader...and the generous donation from Classic Winnebagos.  I am overwhelmed and humbled.  Thank you all, and Merry Christmas!!!

Rickf1985

Kevin, I posted last night but I don't see it so I guess it didn't go through. Do a lot of research on the Freightliner chassis coaches. I am not up on the newer chassis but I have heard a lot of horror stories about parts and prices on the Freightliners. Some people say they are a very hard company to deal with and getting parts is very hard and expensive. I really wish I could donate but being on disability the income is just not there. I also wish you had broken down closer to me and you could have had the transmission out of my parts unit as long as you helped me get the motor out also so I could scrap the rest. Then again, it is cold and wet here so that may not have been good. I do not see this parts unit going anywhere so if and when you come through or close to NJ next year let me know. I have tools, jacks, torches, welders, front end loader, chain saws........................... you get the picture. I am just limited in what I can do physically anymore to help.

ClydesdaleKevin

It is okay Rick.  We appreciate all the advice and support.  Just keep on sharing our link to the Go Fund Me on your social media accounts, and keep on bumping them up. 

[size=14px !important]https://www.gofundme.com/get-siege-the-day-back-on-the-road[/size]

ClydesdaleKevin

After a couple of less than kind emails and PMs, Merry Christmas! And I sincerely hope that you never have a chain of events that, despite your best efforts, brings you to your knees with your back against a wall during your life. I'm 50 years old, and never took a dime in welfare or "WIC" or anything else from anyone, and always donate to those in need...and regularly donate to animal shelters. But have a Merry Christmas! God bless and may the wind be always at your back.

LJ-TJ

Hey Kev, You know and I know and we all know there people out there got nothing better to do with there time than to try and denigrate folks when there backs up against it. They have very low self a steam. The only way they can make themselves feel important and superior is by trying to shame someone when there down and out. Those type of folks aren't worth the time of day. I know you know that but it's pretty hard to ignore sometime. Hang in there buddy. We've all been were you are at at some point in time and if not we will be down the road. We don't think any less of you. Your going to do just fine and got the support of the gang here. Merry Christmas and it's going to be a Grrrrreat New Year. :)ThmbUp   

joanfenn

🙋‍♀️I agree with TJ, some people make themselves feel better by making others feel worse.  Good thing that they are in the minority.  Hang in there Kevin, you know the saying "When the going gets tough, the tough get going".  Merry Christmas to you and Patti and all your furry kids.🤠

ClydesdaleKevin

ClydesdaleKevin

Hey guys.  We are going to go look at this RV tomorrow.  Anything I should know about the John Deere chassis, Ford 460, and whatever transmission this motorhome uses that I should be aware of or worried about?

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/marianna-john-deere-coach-champion/6762279381.html

Kev

Froggy1936

Opinion only no experience with that coach ! And you know what they say about opinions , 1 looks like it has been stored indoors , 2 has way too many windows , 3 At least its not a 10 cylinder a 460 is a proven engine with a lot of availability  . 4 You have if needed a good generator 5 Ford Automatic transmissions are as good as any . 6 Looks lived in, ???  7 has a big screen tv viewable from outside 8 Can you get anything for your old one ??  You know what to look for  Good Luck Ask why they are selling ???  Frank

Rickf1985

Frank pretty much covered it, the Ford 460 is a beast of a motor but it is a THIRSTY beast! The C6 transmission is as strong as the Chey 400, (Not a good comparison right now I know). The main thing that I do know is that rear brakes seem to be a major problem to find. Go to the Ford section of the chassis section of the forum here and I think there are a couple threads in there about people not being able to find brake parts. That would be a major stumbling block for you considering the miles you drive. Ford stopped making RV chassis's around 1990. Some of the parts carried on in the F series and some did not.

If it has the original Ford Motorcraft four barrel carb you will want to replace that since rebuilds are expensive and a Holley or Edelbrock would work as well or better.

Kevin, Just had a brain fart and cleared out my head! Ford turned into John Deere around 86-87 and that was when a lot of the brake compatibility and other parts issues cropped up so do a bit of research on late Ford/ early John Deere brake parts and other common parts you might think you will need down the road. I say this because as you have found out, small town parts stores don't carry much of anything for RV's and the oddball RV's are even worse.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Frank and Rick!

We are also going to look at the 1996 Allegro Bay tomorrow.  454, 4 speed transmission with overdrive, only 43K miles, and looks pretty darn nice.  I got a hold of the guy today and he seems like a good fellow...so he wants me to call him back in the morning since his house is full of Christmas family visitors. 

With what we have left from our savings, and with what we received so graciously from the Go Fund Me, we could actually afford to buy this one right away at only 7000.00 dollars...and that is if he doesn't want to come down in price.  It is a nice looking coach, and Patti loves it from the pictures.

Of course, that would wipe out pretty much all of our money, so we would have to pray that the Go Fund Me brings in just enough more to get us out to Arizona.

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/gonzalez-1996-allegro-bay/6768781976.html

Kev

Froggy1936

Well Tina loves her Allegro, So there is that. First check the status and meaning of lien on the Title . The trans would be the same as what i put in mine a 4L80E with OD and lock up ! Note cannot be towed without removing drive shaft or axles ! The engine you are familiar with except it will have TBI . Veh Looks good ??  Michelins are good but they also have problems Ck em close ! What is the plywood panel on the ceiling ?  AC removed ??   Frank

ClydesdaleKevin

You are sharp as a tack Frank!  Those are questions I am going to ask him tomorrow before we drive all the way to Pensacola to see and possibly buy the RV.  Why is there luan screwed to the ceiling when the ad says both ACs work?  And why is there a lien on the title?  If the tires are even remotely questionable to me, I can switch my good and fairly new tires from the Holiday Rambler to the Allegro...same rims, so just an easy switch over.  I didn't want to pester him with a barrage of questions on Christmas Day while he was entertaining family and guests.  I'll get those answers in the morning, when he said to call back.

Now I just have to figure out other logistics if we end up buying this RV.  I don't know jack about rubber roofs.  How do I mount my solar panels to the new roof?  Is it the same as the aluminum roofs I am familiar with?  If the title has a lien, what does that mean for insurance and registration, and how do I clear the lien and at what cost?  It only has one rear axle, so we are going to have to lighten up our load a LOT.  No more running heavy.  Etc.

You are a good and wise man Frank.  Merry Christmas to you and Louie, and thank you!

Kev

ClydesdaleKevin

Another question I have to ask, because I can't tell from the pictures, even when I enlarged them.  Is their a rear receiver hitch for a tow vehicle?  I would have thought that that would be a standard item on any RV, but I don't see one in the picture. 

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

ClydesdaleKevin

LOL!  And I certainly have one of those.  Wait...what?  LOL!  Merry Christmas sir!

Rickf1985

I would definitely lean towards the Allegro over the Ford. The lien just means he took out a loan on it I am sure but that also means he will not get the title until the loan company gets the money so you will have to wait for it to be mailed to you. He said something about towing a dingy so there must be a hitch but be aware that the frame extension on that one will not be as high of quality as yours so heavy trailers are out of the question. I use a Trailer Toad to take care of that problem. The rubber roof is the top of the line for roofs but you do NOT want to put holes in it!!! Do some research, I think there are ways to glue mounts to the rubber but you have to use the right glue so as not to degrade the rubber. You may need different mounts. I agree with Frank on the Michelin tires, look between the treads for cracks, they have been known to split and blow out. You will not gain any more power from the TBI injection but you will gain a ton more dependability. The AC and generator are definite bargaining points as are the tires, do not mention you can use your tires. Also, be sure you can swap in your generator without too much hassle, exhaust can sometimes be an issue.

Rickf1985

Kevin, Something that has not been mentioned is what are you going to do with your old one? You can't just drive off and leave it there. Most junkyards don't want them since there is not enough metal as opposed to all the other material to make it worth the effort. Here is an idea, you are in an area that got slammed and is in desperate need of housing of any sort. Donate it to anyone who is willing to tow it to there plot where their house used to stand. That will give them a place to live, it will get you out from under the dead RV, win-win.

LJ-TJ

460 Hmmmmmm Hm? Not meaning to pile on BUT I have a 460 in my regular every day run of the mill 1/2 ton pickup. I get 5 miles to the gallon. Yep! Doesn't matter how slow I drive. Doesn't matter how FAST I drive. Doesn't matter if I'm going up hill. Doesn't matter if I'm going down hill with the wind at my back. Doesn't matter how tweekie I get the carb. I still only get 5 miles to the gallon. Shoot that's even a Canadian gallon. D:oH!
Those are some sweet looking rigs your looking at.