Alex All-Weather Caulking/Sealant

Started by Mark Sobyak, December 13, 2008, 06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Alex Caulking

Rating:   AAAAA+

Used in the housing industry, Alex caulking can be used on just about any surface:  aluminum, plastic, wood, rubber... even glass!  Use for sealing vents, doors, body trim... Guaranteed for 5 years but can be expected to last 30 if properly cared for. 

Available at most hardware stores and, it's cheap!

I haven't used it myself, but Tom says it's very, very good stuff!

- Sob

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 12/20/2005 7:15 PM

I haven't used any yet, except to fill one hole at Tom's where I had drilled into the marker light wiring when I installed the awning...but there is another good thing about Alex that makes it superior to silicone:  Things like paint, Kool Seal, and Eternabond Tape will stick to it.  Nothing sticks to pure silicone.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Slantsixness

Sent: 12/20/2005 8:52 PM

On thing that is super nice about using Alex caulking, is the water cleanup.
Now I'm not just talking about getting it off your hands, I'm talking about dressing the caulk along trim seams or window frames. just take a wet rag and wipe it off like spackling, just until its hardly noticable. Looks great, stays firm but flexible, and...

Yes, you can paint it, and almost all paints will stick to it, without cracking over time.

I started using this stuff at the recomendation of a freind who is a painter by trade. At first I doubted him, because the stuff just makes too many claims to be beleivable. Well, I haven't found any reason to doubt it's claims, and I use it in the house, my Winnie, my shed, almost anywhere I need caulk. Oh, I almost forgot.... the stuff sticks to concrete, too!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Oz

Sent: 12/21/2005 1:33 AM

Speaking of water clean-up... you mentioned a very important thing, if you really thing about it, Tom! 

If your rig sits uncovered under trees for periods of time, algea, fungus, an even moss can start growing on the caulk.  I don't know if this type has any anti-fungal properties, but I have seen all kinds of green stuff growing along the seams of rigs and campers (remember all those semi-permanents you drove by and said... eyyyyeewwww... look at that!  The stuff was all over the sides even).  So, a durable caulk which can be easily cleaned is important;  it will prevent the green stuff from rooting or growing in any minute gaps.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Slantsixness

Sent: 12/21/2005 7:28 AM

Yes Alex is "resistant" to most common molds and fungi, but it still has to be cleaned periodically, along with the rest of the RV!

Since it stays somewhat pliable but smooth to the touch, cleanup is easy!

So far the caulk I've used has stayed clean, but Smurfbago is kept away from most elements under an ADCO RV cover all winter, so I can't say for sure what would happen if it sat under a tree in an RV park for a long time...

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

Stripe

This would be great for thewinnedodger..
Fredric,
Captain of the Ground Ship "Aluminum Goose"
28' Holiday Rambler Imperial 28