Full-time RV living: Registration, Inspection, Tags & Insurance?

Started by Oz, March 11, 2010, 11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Three questions for our full-time "Adventurers":

1.  For the 99.97% of us, when you register your car, you renew it each year in your State of Residence.  But, if you're full-timing in an RV, how does that work?

2.  Same question for inspections.  I would assume it's based on the State you are currently living in, but if you've moved to another State since your last one, how does that work with the registration question #1?

3.  Same question for license plates.

4.  What are the effects of living mobile on your insurance?  Is it more expensive?  Do you have to update the policy or get some kind of special rider each time you move?  Does Good Sam's have some kind of Nomad RVer policy  Hm?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Froggy1936

Hi Mark, Good Sam is the way to go they have every thing you asked about covered.  I have belonged for a wile now and use there Road service and travel insurance. Registration becomes a little tricky I use my sons address   Frank  P.S. snow here in Murrysville is still a foot deep  temp now 77o 
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

ClydesdaleKevin

I use a friend's address for registration purposes in Florida.  If it came to it I could use my mother's address as she also lives in Florida.

As far as the inspections and whatnot, that is another beautiful thing about Florida...they simply don't have motor vehicle inspections or emissions! 

And Florida is set up for snow birds.  You can renew your registrations from any other state, either online or by calling the county tax collectors or DMV offices.  Also, Florida only has a one-time property tax on your vehicles and RVs, collected when you first register them...and you never pay taxes on them again.

As far as insurance is concerned, Progressive has a great fulltimers policy.  And while it says that they want you to spend x amount of months at your "residence" they have no way of verifying that you were there or when or for how long.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

Cool, I've been with Good Sam's for about 6 years and have always had Progresso Soup in my motorhomes..... no, I mean Progressive Insurance on my motorhomes (and motorcycles).

However, I won't likely have a long term address of record to use like you do.  Now what?  I'll have to re-register in whatever State I'm in if we make a semi-permanent move (which is likely)?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Pick one state that you plan on being in at least once a year...pick a campground in that state that you'll stay in every year, have mail sent to you there, and then use it as your address!  Our friend Rick does that...he stays at a campground in Florida every winter and uses it as his address on his licence and registration.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

russmehl

I was reading through a copy of the Family Motor Coach Assn. magazine and found several mail forward / state of residence adverts. Most were for South Dakota.
I also found this thread on a quick search of cyberspace.
http://www.myrvparks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2475

Good Luck!

Russ

Shalydra

I have a POB in a small town that doesn't do door to door mail delivery (the entire town is pob with a lovely old victorian post office). Been using it as my 'permanent address' for about 3 years now, government has no complaints and I've moved around the area several times. Was nice to have it already established when I relocated into my 'new' 1972 trailer.  :angel:

As for insurance, I am really happy with Foremost. They have some awesome fulltimer options, are comfortable with vintage rigs, and take phone, web or mail payment options so location when paying is flexible. To say nothing of the included roadside assistance. Not to mention they're cheap.