Front end shake

Started by Clyde9, November 15, 2008, 09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clyde9

Sent: 4/28/2003 12:27 PM

i finally got to take the winne for a test run down to the beach. the wind was really bad but she handled just fine. one thing i noticed was there was a shake or shimmy in the front end. it was not speed sensitive but seemed to come and go depending on whether or not i was going straight, turning, or if i hit a big enough bump. a tap of the brakes and it would go away but felt like it was oscillating up. got home and jacked up the rig to check and could find no play in anything.A friend mechanic says maybe king pin bushings? was wondering if anybody has had a similar problem. also while at the beach i tried to run my generator and it ran o.k. for about 5 min. then started to miss badly. found the switch for the circuit breaker in the shore power setting. just had the whole gen. gone over and was working perfectly before moving. could i have fried something? hope not! thanks for all the help. getting really hyped up for a good long trip.
sal

Sent: 4/28/2003 6:06 PM

when you say the beach are you driving in sand ???? If so did you air down tires  are you 2 or 4 wheel drive reply and will answer

Sent: 4/28/2003 6:13 PM

If you have a shimmy on pavement, I would look at things like the amount of toe-in, the wheel bearing adjustments, the steering box adjustment, then the king pin wear, then the tire imbalance or out of roundness, that you wheels are not bent, the hub nuts are snug, and a few other factors. If you wanted I could send you a long long opinionated text that I sent to another guy with unlikeable steering.
denison denisondc@hotmail.com

Sent: 4/28/2003 9:53 PM

thanks for the replays guys. no i was not in the sand just pavement. its just a 2 wheel drive but like the idea of 4 wheel drive! i checked the steering box for play and it seems o.k. just had the tires all rebalanced and checked. said tires had a little flat spot but because they are the bias ply that once they heated up a little on a trip they would be fine.checked ball joints and tie rod ends. all seem o.k. don't know how to check for king pin bushing wear. also like i said the wheel bearing and tires were just gone over. any ideas on how to check king pins would help. thanks again!
sal