1961 Aljo by Modernistic Industries, Gardena, CA

Started by zionadams, March 22, 2011, 08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zionadams

I cannot freakin believe that I finally navigated to (what I think) is the right forum to document the existence of our little pull behind. It's not anywhere on the internet, at all, and I feel an obligation to get the details out there.Someone else probably also has an erroneous title because even DMV thought that all Aljos were Skyline Industries trailers...not so young grasshopper! The original Aljo was the brand name of a popular company based in Gardena, California. It began as Aljoa, then became Aljo, then eventually was purchased by Winnebago. Good luck with finding information anywhere else on the web. Hopefully members here will be able to assist you with basic hook-up ideas. The Vintage Shasta Trailer Forum website has been really helpful too...and our trailer nearly mirrors the Shasta Astrodome model, causing much confusion to this trailer owner. Check out the photos in "Member's Albums" on here and please let me know if we can offer any assistance. If this level of personal obsession continues I'll probably know wayyyyy too much about Aljo's by then! Happy Restoring!  :)

UPDATE: Turns out that this is a 1500X model, 15'6" long and 7'1" wide. It weighs about 3500lbs (unloaded) and is outfitted for propane and electric. It originally sold for $2095...or thereabouts. LOL

Oz

Thank you SO much for taking the time and making the effort to share this with us.  CWVRV is a wealth of knowledge for all vintage RVers and every bit collected here makes it all that more valuable as a living community of history.  The Aljo is a highly prized RV and we're so glad you're here to tell us all about it!
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

zionadams

Pharaoh...thanks for the welcome. Thanks also for moderating such a great website! I will keep you guys updated. This is the only one I've seen but I'm betting not the only one left in someone's back yard for years and years.  i??

zionadams

OMG!!!  The 1960 1500x is our trailer :) !!! The only difference I can see might be in a window size. I'll have to check. Ours was registered as a 1961.

Can you PLEASE send me that flyer as a .jpeg image? I'd like to get it printed out for the album we're starting.

Thank you so much for posting those files. I really do appreciate it!

zionadams

Quote from: JDxeper on March 22, 2011, 09:13 PM
Take a peak at these.  Just a few. Company started 1945 ran to 1984 when it was bought out.

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=351

I'd really like to get copies of two of those pages...the stats page and the 1960 ad. Can you please send them to me a a jpeg file? Zionadams (AT) msn dotcom.

Thanks!!!

JDxeper

If you will send me your private e-mail I'll send them to you.

JD
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

zionadams

We've begun the 1st level of cleaning...I'll say 'begun' because it's going to take DAYZZZZZZ of opening and emptying, washing, replacing missing screws, gluing, ect...  There are about 20 new photos in the member's album area, same album. Regards and thanks for all the ongoing help and support. We really do appreciate it!!!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Welcome to the site teacher80498.  I see you found the picture gallery OK.  Your trailer looks to be in fairly good shape to start with.  That should make your life much easier.
Zionadams pictures are at the bottom of page 8 of the Gallery

Good luck and happy camping,

Dave
[move][/move]

intofire1

Welcome to the best site around. Just view you trailer and what a find. Hope you enjoy working on it as I do mine (1961 Winnebago 14ft total, bumper to hitch). The best part of this site is reading the post on people working through problems with their RV's. To me they read like a "who done it". Great discussions on how to fixes things. Good luck with the trailer and by the way I drive through Gardena, CA on my way to work. I wonder were the factory was located?
Good luck Gil in LA

HandyDan

The factory was located at 1715 W. 135th St., Gardena, CA.  The building is now the Weiss Sheet Metal Co.  The address is at the bottom of this ad.  You might have to enlarge it to see it, though.  Or, better yet, just go to this web site:  http://www.vintage-vacations.com/aljo.htm
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

JDxeper

Looks like a 1700X, was manfactured in 62-64 best as I can tell.  Modernistic of Iowa was sold to and become Winnebago in 1959.  I think they used the same designs up untill Winnebago went to the thermopanels in 1964.  Could we see some interior pictures?   Trailer looks to be in great shape! :)ThmbUp
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)