Clarification on wiring multiple outlets 120v :)

Started by tallulahruby, April 15, 2013, 07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallulahruby

Someone please clarify..? :)

So I am rewiring my 1956 Aljo. I removed all the old cloth covered 110 wiring and replaced with Romex 14/2. My question that I can seem to get a straight answer on is..

I am connecting 4-5  15 amp outlets on one side that go back to the box. And 4-5 on the other side that go back to the same box. They both end at different places. So I will have two separate lines going into the same box.

I have been told I absolutely need to pigtail the wires for each outlet using an extra piece of wire for each of the three (ground/hot/neutral) and secure with a wire nut for each outlet and then just connect each pigtail to the hot/neutral/ground screw on the outlet. Therefore only having one wire for each hot/neutral screw on the outlet leaving the other 2 screws empty (1 hot, 1 neutral).

Then, I have been told that I can just skip the pigtail and connect the hot/neutral for each incoming and outgoing wire for each outlet to each corresponding side of the outlet and crimp the 2 ground wires together and attach to the ground screw on the outlet. Therefore, all 4 screws on the outlet would have a wire attached as well as the ground screw (except the last outlet in the series, which would only have the incoming wires attached).

I can wire either way, I just need to know appropriate safe way, please?
I hope this make sense.. I have attached a photo of each way I did for practice.
I am not planning on running anything but lights and maybe a small fan.

The box that is currently in the trailer says:

30 Amp Max
120/240 v A.C.
2 Pole
2 or 3 wire

This device accommodates one 2 pole (simultaneous trip) Type NA breaker, or 2 type NA breakers, or 2 type NC breakers.

Thanks for any help or advice!! :D

ibdilbert01

I myself never pig tail them.  Some people do because they think that little piece of metal connecting the two screws isn't adequate enough to carry the load for the other outlets, but that is incorrect.   They are designed to be gang banged. 

This video might be helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIL7RKsXQOk
Constipated People Don't Give a crap!

tallulahruby

Thanks ibdilbert01 !!

I have watched that video! :) It seemed no one could tell my WHY I would need to pigtail-it seemed redundant to me... From what I can tell, it's personal preference/how someone learned. I just want it to be functioning and safe.

Thanks so much! :)

DaveVA78Chieftain

My perspective is the more connections you have (i.e adding a pigtail), the greater the chance of something to fail.  In a stick and brick home you do not have the vibration and flexing of an RV so the extra connections are no big deal.  In an RV though, less is more.

Dave
[move][/move]

tallulahruby

Thanks, DaveVA78Chieftai!

You guys have been so reassuring! Already wired the other outlets (no pigtail). Feeling kinda badass. Can't wait to finish and light her up!!

:)