TurboKool rooftop Swamp Coolers?

Started by ClydesdaleKevin, June 14, 2013, 11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Anyone ever use one of these?

http://www.turbokool.com/

We were planning on doing a lot of boondocking this summer, but the heat has changed our plans to RV parks with hookups.

This looks pretty promising as long as the outside humidity isn't over 80%...the less humid outside, the better they work, and according to the research I've done should cool at least the bedroom in the RV in humidity up to 80%.

Anyone have any experience with these?  They run off 12 volts and don't draw a heck of a lot of amps, and with our system it looks like we could run one all night long without drawing the batteries down too far.

We were thinking of putting one on the roof in place of the rear AC unit.  That would locate it right over the bed in the bedroom, and we could even gather the pets into the back with us and close the bedroom door.

We'd still keep the front AC unit of course.

Just one more improvement we are thinking seriously about to increase our boondocking abilities in comfort, and wanted to get some feedback from you all before making a decision.

Thanks guys!

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Google "pros and cons of rv swamp cooler"
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

The only experience I have with swamp coolers are the ones on your house. In Colorado we used swamp coolers instead of air conditioners and they work quite well but can create warping of doors from the moisture. I have actually thought of putting a swamp cooler on our rig because they use so much less power, but I didnt know they actually made one for RV's.

DonD

Had one on my first MH. Loved it. Lived in that MH for over 3 years.

KEEP IT CLEAN inside so no bacteria grows, can give you respiratory issues.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks guys so far!  Keep the reviews coming!  Its a big investment, and we want as many opinions as possible before investing 700+ bucks.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

moonlitcoyote

I got to thinking,how much water does it use? You wouldnt want to drain your tanks too fast.

ClydesdaleKevin

Supposedly not a heck of a lot.  Maybe a couple of gallons a day on high.  It has a water pan that is fed by your system water pressure, and uses a float valve like a toilet to shut itself off when the water level is high enough.  I thought about the water issue too for desert boondocking, and on high using it all day it is supposed to use less than 2 gallons.

Kev

Lefty

It really depends where you intend to use it.
In the southwest desert regions, and the rockies.. the humidity is usually super low. And evaporative coolers can work fantastic... Places like Arizona, New Mexico, Southern California, Nevada, etc..

The Northeastern states also tend to be ok as far as humidity... but not as dry as the Southwest. So it will still work, but maybe not as well.

But.. if you head where I live, the South.. forget it. Typical summer conditions here are 90+deg F. with 90+% humidity. They are used a lot in the Gulf Coast areas.. So. Louisiana, Mississippi gulf region, and the Florida Panhandle... but that's because the gulf air is not as humid as the interior parts of the states.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks Frank.  Most of our boondocking tends to be out in the southwest, which is why we are considering it.  And next year we plan on doing a lot of boondocking in the summer in the Dakotas.  Not all that humid there either.  When we are in the high humid areas we tend to be hooked up to shore power and can run the AC while at a Renaissance Faire.  This would include Oklahoma...very humid...New York...not super humid, but there are some very hot and humid days early in the show in August...and North Carolina...again, some very hot humid days early on during the show.

Sounds like a great plan for us.  I'll keep you all posted.

It does look like I'd have to mount them backwards on the roof though according to the mounting instructions, but they aren't intended to be operated while driving, so I don't think it would hurt anything.  The reason?  My solar panels are up against the front of both AC units, and I'm not about to relocate the solar panels...lol!

Kev

DonD

FWIW. I live at 4000ft and the humidity is low until monsoon. My stick house has 2 ACs and 2 evaps. I can use one or both types as needed to control the comfort level in the house. I created this "hybrid" set up and it works very well. I use a portable Vornado fan to move air also.
Don and Mary
2000 TC1000 Bluebird bus conv.

SoakedKarma

Have had TurboKool for three years now.. Nice profile for swamp cooler and works well when properly maintained..  Made my own upgrades to wiring as connectors are not moisture proof, corroding the first season.. Sealed 4" space between ceiling and roof of AC opening w/pourable closed cell expanding foam as wood framing will soak up moist air... Had to swap bolt holding valve float around to make adjustment easier and raised edge surrounding fan blade to keep water from slinging out of housing at full speed..  Needs a sump drain plug to properly clean sump imho.. Used a thicker sealing gasket than provided as I have a pitched/domed/crowned roof..  Unique funnel shaped slinger attached to 12vdc fan motor shaft acts as a pump to distribute water to filter element..  In dusty desert environs pump needs to be flushed out 2-3 times a year when it plugs up during full time use 16-20 hours a day.. I installed PWM "Pulse-width modulation" speed controller as well but a properly sized potentiometer would work equally well..  For the dry camper you will use 5-7 gallons of water a day..  Mounting hold down design requires removal of vent cover if used over 14"x14" crank up vent..

When working at full efficiency in Nevada I find 15º F or better lowering of temperature in closed off bedroom of 40' coach.. Real nice when installed above bed.. Picked my unit up from owner of company as they live just south of me.. They are elderly unlikely there will ever be any upgrades from current design..  W%   Like I should talk likely I am about the same age as they are.. Somewhere I have photos of my upgrades but could only find my installation photos..

ClydesdaleKevin

Thanks!  I was hoping someone who used one would give me a good idea of what to expect for water consumption.

Still thinking about it!  Really would expand our summer boondocking options.

Kev

SoakedKarma

Up on the roof  W% today cleaning out the the pump for the first time this summer..  Took a couple of photos for y'all with close ups inset..

Lot of dust storms this year.. found it easiest to disconnect motor/pump assy remove and apply pressure from hose or faucet which flushes out pump well..
Two 4 wire moisture resistant tow lighting 12" extension plugs replaced original wiring one plug inside coach that had corroded and the second "shown" which allows for Quick disconnect of motor for flushing..

I raised the edge due to water being thrown out of housing on high speed which I use 95% of the time during the summer 100º temps..
Raised edge of air intake around fan was accomplished by using top lip of plastic plant container inverted and inserted upwards..  Lip of plastic pot lends strength to ring.. Landscape buddy had dozens of different size used ones to choose from..
Lot of dissolved silica in local water which can't be filtered out results in white buildup the raised lip is green..

Glued rubber vibration dampeners to motor arm framework as I got tired of climbing down to chase that odd one that rolled off roof..

I use locally available blue "Dura-Koolâ,,¢" swamp cooler material to replace filters which have turned to rock due to silica in water.. Much less expensive than Turbo Kool's foam filters..

Water supply line taps off bathroom sink PEX line using compression fitting included with Turbo Kool.  plastic supply line runs alongside waste vent pipe and out roof vent to unit.. An option is to run it out refrigerator roof vent..

5 amp draw when unit was new, slightly more than published data..
I would disagree with the 20-30º lower temp I see stated on other web sites.. 15-20º F is what I experience in Nevada with a 10-20% RH being the norm..  cooler used in a 410 cubic foot bedroom closed off from rest of coach..
I also have a 14"x14" reversible exhaust/attic fan in the middle of coach.. All that air you pump in has to go somewhere.. You may need to open a window or bath vent as an exhaust..

Good luck what ever you decide..

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

ClydesdaleKevin

Still thinking about it, but water usage is definitely a factor for us with desert boondocking...although we can hold about 120 gallons now with the extra freshwater tank I installed.  Also concerned about introducing too much moisture into the coach...don't want my expensive firearms to get rusty!  Did you notice any great amount of moisture collecting on anything in the rig when you use yours?

Thanks!

Kev