Engine tapping

Started by class87, November 25, 2008, 11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

class87

Sent: 6/9/2003 8:49 AM

last trip to camp at lake as pulled Mtn. grades started hearing a tapping sound similar to fan blade hitting shroud.. after checking area etc nothing is touching anything... so sound is comming out of motor after it cranks and warms up some.. so wondering?? hyd lifters ?? or this motor have the old style manuel adjusted valves ? 

Sent: 6/9/2003 10:22 AM

Choco, is the sound intermittent, like only while acceleration?

I had a simlar mystery on an an old F-100 with a 302.  Upon hard acceleration, I would hear a sound like the one you described.  Tried to isolate the sound in the engine with a stethoscope to no avail.  Finally one day I noticed some black plastic shavings on top of the fan shroud.  The front motor mounts had broken and the whole engine/transmission assembly would pivot upwards from the trans. mount under hard acceleration and the fan would hit the shroud.  Normal acceleration had no effect and it made no noise at idle.

I'd check those mounts first.  It may not be an internal mechanical problem.

Sent: 6/9/2003 11:54 AM

hi bhart 
it does this after starting and as it warms up parked , looked at plastic shroud at campsite etc no blade signs of touching, maybe ill also take the belts off for a lil bit and run it? to see if any noise still comes that will rule out any  beariang noises in the alternator etc ? boy thats gonna be fun. crampped area in dog house .. it just started this noise a few weeks ago last trip and this comming week is another fishing trip. So i better get out and get busy lolo 

Sent: 6/9/2003 2:04 PM

Not the beginning of an exhaust manifold gasket leak? A loose spark plug? And let us know what you find!! denison 

Sent: 6/9/2003 2:11 PM

I vote for exhaust manifold leak making that tic sound,and it can be intermittent.
Boo

Sent: 6/9/2003 4:45 PM

if you think is any of valve system, wait til you get one tank down to about
10 gals of gasoline, then dump a quart of marvel mystery oil in and run that
tank dry.
usually marvel will clean up or get under crud and the like

ent: 6/10/2003 12:51 AM

Kinda sounds like popcorn poppin,