Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eyez Open

Did you press out the joints or use the hammer and drive them out with a shunt/socket? I drove mine out with a hammer and they were rusted in badly.

RockwoodMike

Actually I haven't pressed out or hammered out anything just yet..These loose caps are the ones that get held in to the end yolks at the trans and differential..

So they just pull off the u-joint by hand..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

More work on the driveshaft..

Pic 1..2 of the 3 u-joints are here..The 3rd and the center carrier bearing are on the UPS truck to be delivered today.. :)clap

Pic 2..I tried to pop the caps out using this air hammer..Would not budge!! :angry:

Pic 3..Bring up the artillery  :grin: Cut off wheel...I don't recommend this to the faint heart..but it sure did make short work of it.. :)clap

Pic 4..Shows the result..Those caps just tapped out
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

Pic 5..Caps are out..ready to be cleaned up

Pic 7..You can see how jammed up this drive shaft was..It would not pivot under it's own weight..

Pic 6..Cut it out..

Pic 8..All done..

RockwoodMike

Pic 9..New part...Moog 304

Pic 10..Old parts..

Pic 12..Need a total cleaning..As usual..That is all right, I am used to it all :P

Pic 14..All cleaned up ready for satin black engine paint..

Eyez Open

A cutoff wheel, now that's a first! I like that quite a bit actually. Hammering out those joints can be very bad on the yoke, a simple cutoff and POOF...next plz.

Powder coat a drive line? Gotta love that

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on June 27, 2024, 04:31 PMPowder coat a drive line? Gotta love that

Yea I wish..I can't on this because you need an oven that is big enough to fit the items..All I have is a standard electric household oven..That gives me a 23x17 area..

I have plans for a large oven in my head that would be 4x4 at the base and 8 feet tall..You can fit just about anything in that size..

So with that, it is time to shake up the rattle can of Satin black engine enamel..That will do for now..

RockwoodMike

Time for the carrier bearing to come off..Easy!! Cut off wheel again..

Pic 1..Grind off this tab of the metal cage..Red arrow

Pic 2..Just the part that is bent over..Red circle..The metal cage will come right off..With a sharp box cutter, you can cut off the rubber piece..

Pic 3..UPS truck arrived..The rest of the parts to finish this drive shaft..

Pic 4..Parts is Parts..Also a highly collectable refrigerator magnet!! :D

RockwoodMike

Pic 5..Metal Cage off..Cut the rubber off..Box cutter works fast

Pic 6..Cut off wheel..BE CAREFUL WITH IT..It can damage you if it binds or slips your grip..
Carefully cut the outer race at 2 places..Falls right off

Look how dry everything was..And there was no way to add grease to the bearing..The bearing spins all the time going down the road..Not for long in this condition..You can get the ball bearings out of the way easy enough..

Pic 7..This is the hardest cut..You cut the race as deep as you can without cutting into the drive shaft..You don't need to cut it all the way through..When the cut is deep enough, I used a wood chisel to drive into the slot..That will break the press fit of the race and then you can tap the race off the shaft..

Just go slow!! You don't want to cut the drive shaft..I just barely nicked mine..Really no damage
But that cut off wheel will cut steel like a hot knife through butter :shocked:

Pic 8..All done..Sand blast and paint time..Fun Fun Fun.. :rolleyes:

RockwoodMike

After the sandblasting and before the paint :P

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..New bearing..The metal cage around the rubber is unfinished Raw steel

Powder coating to the rescue :)clap

Pic 2..Old bearing..One ball was rusted and there was no grease..

Pic 3..I used a punch with LIGHT taps of a ball peen hammer..took about 20 minute..LIGHT TAPS and you will see it move on slowly..

Pic 4..It will bottom against this shoulder made in the shaft..

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..I just wiped down the cage with acetone to clean it..Hang it up with copper wire..

Pic 2..Blood Red,,Same color as the front brake calipers :azn:

Pic 3..In the oven..385 degrees for 20 minutes

Pic 4..OH YEA!! :)clap

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..When I was rebuilding the transmission, I never tightened down the output yolk..

When you powder coat it red, it makes it stronger faster and you get better gas mileage..Your mileage may vary ;)

Pic 2..Front section with new U joint and carrier bearing installed. View from the top

Pic 3 View from the bottom..

Elandan2

With all the painting and powder coating going on, I'm surprised that the frame is still "original"... LOL
I have to admit, fantastic job.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

LJ-TJ

Yep! >GRIN< She's going to be one colorful rig rolling down the highway. Love it, love it. Keep up the good work mate. She'll be all worth it when your finished :)clap .

LJ-TJ

Yeah know I was just thinking. I don't know who you are. What you do. But man would it ever be a blast to sit around a campfire some day with a couple of cool one's and shoot the shoot with you about different ideas on what and how we've done things to our bago's. Maybe.
Some day. I'm in Easter Canada and I think your in Western United States California.  I own a bago and your going to own a jewel of a bago and maybe just maybe (long shot) it will happen that we meet. Hang in there buddy your doing an amazing job.

RockwoodMike

Hi LJ-TJ..

Thanks again for the encouragement..I will get this done as I am too deep to quit now!! :P

Just gotta make small goals..one at a time..Looking at the whole project and seeing everything that needs to be done..You think you will never get done..But do one thing,,get it right..And then the next thing..Just one thing at a time..

Today I finished up the drive line..3 new U joints..1 new carrier bearing and in essence I have a new drive line..

Here is a couple of pictures showing the rear section installed..Everything good

RockwoodMike

I rebuilt the steering gear box..It wasn't bad and functioned just fine, but as usual it was leaking and filthy

I am not going to get into the details..Just pictures of the removal and teardown

RockwoodMike

Some tear down pics

RockwoodMike

All the parts spread out with printout of the service manual

Kit is Edelman 7859. All of the contents of the rebuild kit

All finished ready to go back in

RockwoodMike

Shock Absorbers..

RockwoodMike

Way back when I was tearing out the differential to rebuild it, I found the shock mount was bent..Being 5/8 thick, I couldn't bend it back straight..So I cut it off and made a 5/8 hole..Using a 5/8-3" grade 8 bolt work out fine to mount the new shock..

RockwoodMike

Front and rear shocks all installed..

Comparing the old front shock to the new

LJ-TJ

RockwoodMike

Wow LJ-TJ..That's a bodacious gif you are showing off there. That is about as bodacious as the gnarly waves at Santa Cruz..5-7 foot sets.. Hope you have a Cowabunga 4th yourself dude!!