1986 454 Headers

Started by zMadMechanic, June 01, 2024, 02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zMadMechanic

Sanded/wire wheeled thoroughly (inside and out of frame rail and all nooks and crannies), acid etched, then three coats of POR-15 inside and out this whole area. Rusty lower control arm seen in pics will be replaced but easier to leave it alone until I reinstall the new upper control arm.

After hours and hours of wire wheeling and hand brushing loose rust:
Prepped.jpg

Acid Etched
Acid Etch.jpg

POR-15 (this is after the 1st coat):
Painted.jpg

Only used two 4oz cans - I'm always amazed by the coverage:
POR-15 4oz.jpg

RockwoodMike

With POR 15, that frame is DONE!! :)clap ..I have heard it called the "Poor Man's Powder Coat"...It is a very tough finish and you really shouldn't have to worry about rust again..

I would be inclined when you get your new parts, to lay a coat on them too..

I just hope that isn't POR on your skin in the last photo..Because if it is, it will be there for a while!!
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

The second picture shows that you acid etched the steel...With what??
I was wondering if the etch was necessary ??The steel in the first pic was super clean..That would have been the POR 15 starting application time for me
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

zMadMechanic

Finally getting back on subject... finished installing the drivers side header today! Only very minor fitment issue with the heat shield for the engine mount... easily solved by a small hammer  :grin:

I used the included gasket and hardware which came with the Flowtech set. I added anti seize to the bolt threads after using a thread chaser on the block and cleaning out the holes with compressed air.

I also used spray-on, high-temp copper gasket sealant on the included gasket because I've always had good luck with Peramtex. All torqued down to 25 pounds, starting from the middle and working my way out like a tire, in multiple (many) sequences.

I'm pretty stoked with how it came out:

Main.jpg

Wide.jpg

Clearance.jpg

Quote from: RockwoodMike on July 08, 2024, 05:19 PMWith POR 15, that frame is DONE!! :)clap ..I have heard it called the "Poor Man's Powder Coat"...It is a very tough finish and you really shouldn't have to worry about rust again..

I would be inclined when you get your new parts, to lay a coat on them too..

I just hope that isn't POR on your skin in the last photo..Because if it is, it will be there for a while!!

The second picture shows that you acid etched the steel...With what??
I was wondering if the etch was necessary ??The steel in the first pic was super clean..That would have been the POR 15 starting application time for me

I love Por-15, but I did have a poor (lol) experience on shiny bare metal on the fuel tank. I learned it REALLY needs some rust, or a very rough clean metal surface. It doesn't have anything to penetrate on bright bare metal and basically just peels up with any chipping of the paint or flexing of the metal whatsoever.  It also needs high humidity (60+%), but not too humdid (90+%)... I digress.

I decided to use Por-15's metal cleaner and acid etch (two separate products) in sequence, as directed, just to be sure on the frame rails. If it was all uniformly rusted, I wouldn't have bothered beyond thoroughly cleaning with 90% iso alcohol and compressed air. My frame had clean, bright spots after thoroughly wirebrushing... so I felt like my hands were tied. I want it to be one and done! Three coats + a top layer of rustoleum spray paint for good measure lol.

And yes, it sucks to get on your skin... ha!

RockwoodMike

Alright, Alright, Alright :)clap  :D

Looking at the collector, looks like there is no ground issues..Looks nice and tight up there..

I was wondering about the rest of the exhaust going back from the collector..Are you making your own muffler pipe??..Looks like you have a start on it already..

Well that wins round 1..What will round 2 hold for us all to see??

When you get your new suspension parts, I think some Rustolium paint will be in order..A nice satin black like your top coat on the frame..
I think the paint that comes on the parts is just a quick coat to prevent rust in storage and transportation..And it would not last long under the severe conditions of the road salts and rocks,etc..

Doing great!!

zMadMechanic

Slowly making progress! But not exactly on topic.

Last weekend I buttoned up the drivers side, except for brakes (doing them last) and sway bar: https://imgur.com/gallery/jLpARF8

New upper and lower control arms + HD springs + a Super Steer bell crank. The most time consuming part has been paint prep by far - but I'm very happy with the results. Fully sealed (Por-15) inside and out of the frame rail, then a layer of rustoleum spray paint, and a generous top coat of 'rust shield' spray-on oil coating... I will say it's not the most pretty coating (as in uniform) but that wasn't the point!

When it's all said and done, I shouldn't have to worry about rust for a good long time, and this old P30 should handle better than new!

Now onto the passenger side... :)clap

RockwoodMike

You can post pictures here..Limit of 1MB per picture and 4 pics per post..If you have more than 4 pics, just make another post for more pics

Eyez Open

You put on HD springs...do you know there ratings? I too put HD spring's on, rated for 3300lbs each spring. A yr later I'm having second thoughts, after just two short hops I can tell you the front end suspension is sprung way to tight.
I should note my front end is rated at 5000lbs.

Sidestep

Nice job!
Hedman Hedders on the '91, and couple of years on..

It's time to re-POR the frame, and all the Hi-Temp paint's burnt off the headers, so will buff off the rust and re do in even Higher-Temp this time..

zMadMechanic

Quote from: RockwoodMike on August 12, 2024, 10:20 PMYou can post pictures here..Limit of 1MB per picture and 4 pics per post..If you have more than 4 pics, just make another post for more pics
I would post more pics if the 1MB size limit was upped significantly... my iPhone takes 4MB pics on the smallest setting and there's no way to natively convert the image size. Posting here requires emailing to myself, saving to my computer, and manually adjusting the size of the pics... a fairly annoying process that still pails in comparison to paint prepping a rusty, oil-soaked frame :)

Quote from: Eyez Open on August 13, 2024, 10:00 PMYou put on HD springs...do you know there ratings? I too put HD spring's on, rated for 3300lbs each spring. A yr later I'm having second thoughts, after just two short hops I can tell you the front end suspension is sprung way to tight.
I should note my front end is rated at 5000lbs.
I went with the HD version offered by Lesjöfors from RockAuto:
https://www2.rockauto.com/fr/moreinfo.php?pk=11716069&cc=1059139&pt=7512

I really like the HD Lesjöfors springs for my BMW (1988 735i), though I'm not sure (and can't find) the per-spring LB rating for the HD ones I purchased for my P30.

My hope is for improved handling and I've read countless threads on this topic - some saying you still need/want air bags even with HD springs. I decided to keep the airbags but my plan is to do some experimentation to see if they're needed and what the optimal pressure might be.

It seems the HD springs are generally highly reviewed by most folks. I'm curious why yours feels way too tight... slightly worried about my own now too!

Quote from: Sidestep on August 26, 2024, 06:47 PMNice job! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ITlLeTmiGQiwp6Gqv4cZu7hWFAcMeSvz/view?usp=sharing
Thank you! PS your image link was only visible by replying... weird

Overall update:
By Tuesday 9/3/24 I should finish the header install and suspension refresh on the passenger side! Just need to pay someone to weld the headers to the existing exhaust...

Then I will move on to brakes before finally getting back out on the road. Hopefully just in time for Fall!

RockwoodMike

Quote from: zMadMechanic on September 02, 2024, 12:56 AMmy iPhone takes 4MB pics on the smallest setting and there's no way to natively convert the image size. Posting here requires emailing to myself, saving to my computer, and manually adjusting the size of the pics

I use a USB cable on my android..No email and it downloads in seconds..Edit in Paint.net..