Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elandan2

Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Elandan2 on July 18, 2024, 06:58 PMHmmm. Wonder what colour?

See anything you like?? But I reserve the right for final selection :D 
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

LJ-TJ

:)clap Hey Mark, Thanks for allowing this thread to continue. It's one of the best I've ever seen on the site and on this subject. An incredible resource for many of us. Rockwoodmike your doing great. Mark your the best. Thanks

RockwoodMike

Just working on the details like the EGR factory installed block off plate..

There is a problem with the Felpro gasket..

Pic 1 shows all the things needed//Gasket and plate

Pic 2..When you lay down the gasket, it has these big unnecessary holes in comparison to the actual holes for the intake manifold..

Pic 3..Pencil trace of the gasket, shows the ever so slight gap at the top..In other words, it doesn't seal there..Would be a intake leak..

Pic 4..In red are the 2 leaks that this gasket would create..Left side is a intake leak..Right side is a exhaust leak..

Interesting :angry:  $@!#@!

I am looking for exhaust gasket making material..Make a custom gasket without those large holes..

Glad I caught that..Would have a rough idle !-!   
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

The throttle linkage original before the teardown

I will take a bunch of photos on the reinstall

RockwoodMike

Pic 1..Unanimous decision on my part for color..Gloss black texture!!

Pic 2..When it comes to bolts, you must clear the threads of the powder coat..Wire wheel on the bench grinder does fine..

Pic3..All the parts..Not all..need to fix a couple of them..worn out..

Pic 4..Manifold down and bolts torqued..I will worry about the EGR later

Time for the valve covers

RockwoodMike

Fixing the EGR block off plate seal leak..

Pic 1..With a sheet of special gasket material that can take the heat..I had to buy it on line..couldn't buy it local for some reason..Making a full gasket that will seal the plate to the manifold.

Pic 2..Results of it..

Pic 3..This picture really shows how it would have been a open leak..

Pic 4..Plate installed..

RockwoodMike

Pic 5.Set up of the base flange for the carb..Gasket-Spacer-Gasket.

Pic 6..Spacer is about 3/4 thick..

Pic 7..Carburetor  mounted and installed :)clap

Pic 8..A reminder of what all this looked like way back when

RockwoodMike

Working on the Throttle valve linkage..This has to be right in adjustment..If it is wrong, it will cause slippage and burn up the transmission..

Pic 9..This is part of the system..Yes that oblong hole is normal..I think it is??..

Pic 10-11.Showing how it all goes together..The Throttle valve must have the same movement to the carb linkage..

Pic 12..Linkage hookup at the transmission..

Not happy with is arraignment..High possibilities of linkage binding..

There is a system made by Lokar that is a pull-pull cable system..
The stock linkage is a push-push system..

Doing research right now..All that clunky linkage would be eliminated with the cable system..

RockwoodMike

Time for the radiator..As you can see, there is a bit of a problem..

Took it to the local radiator shop for an estimate for a recore..

1200.00 (Twelve Hundred)  2 word response..In Sane!!

Looking at aftermarket..Even if I need to custom install..

RockwoodMike

New after market radiator is in..It is the same width but shorter by about 4 inches..

I have to make it fit as there is not an option for 1200 dollars..

I took the brackets off the old radiator..Simple solder joints that melt off with a propane torch

RockwoodMike

This is how the brackets fit..3 point triangle arraignment..

If I can fit the old brackets to the new radiator, then it will mount the same way as the old..

Working on it..

RockwoodMike

I have been working on it..Only a couple of hours towards the evening..Only been 106-108 degrees here..Not easy to work in those conditions..

Just modifying the brackets to fit the new radiator..The radiator is smaller..Same width but 4 inches less tall..It has more cooler tubes spaced at 3/8 while the old were spaced at 5/8 inch..

I will post more when I can and if anyone is interested..

Elandan2

It will be interesting how you adapt the factory mounts to the new radiator. I was wondering about the upper inlet. Does your rig have A/C? It seems to me that it would be a problem getting the radiator hose around the compressor and belts/pulleys.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Elandan2 on August 06, 2024, 11:55 AMproblem getting the radiator hose around the compressor and belts/pulleys.

There was never any dash air conditioning..Just heat..So there is only 2 belts..1 for the alternator and the other for the power steering..
This new radiator is a replacement for a D300 pickup with the 440..The original radiator to the motorhome has the inlet-outlet on the right side..

The new radiator has the bottom outlet the same position as the old radiator but the new has the inlet(top) on the opposite side..

So when it comes to new hoses..I am hoping that a D300 with the 440 hoses will work

The picture showing the bottom edge of the original fan shroud will need a hole drilled to accept the bottom radiator hose..
And that big gap showing..I am going to fit a transmission cooler to fill in that gap..

That's the plan... ???

RockwoodMike

RockwoodMike

:)clap  :)clap  :)clap IT FITS!! :)clap  :)clap  :)clap

RockwoodMike

Oz

It's like you're building the rig from scratch.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Eyez Open

Quote from: Oz on August 09, 2024, 06:42 AMIt's like you're building the rig from scratch.

That would be Rockwoodmike the one man band. Just incredible!

RockwoodMike

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Oz on August 09, 2024, 06:42 AMIt's like you're building the rig from scratch.

The only thing that I haven't touched yet is the front axle..The PO beat the heck out of this motorhome but at least he used a grease gun on it occasionally ..The king pins are tight and all the drag link ball joints seem to be fine..

The frame also..It has it's surface rust, but it is solid..But Winnebago added an extension to the rear of the frame and the way they did it is a joke..I am surprised it didn't break away long ago..That is something I need to improve, because I would like to be able to tow a car trailer with this rig..

Oz

Some of the long Elandands had issues with the frame extension. I recall a couple members sharing photos. I'm surprised the back end didn't fall off!

Oz

The radiator is of particular interest. It becomes an issue for everyone at some point. It was established in an existing topic that, yes...you can find a replacement but it's the mounts which must be modified and the hoses must.(obviously) be correct.

I'm biting my nails in anticipation ...

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Oz on August 09, 2024, 08:31 PMyou can find a replacement but it's the mounts which must be modified

I looked and looked everywhere..Aftermarket is saturated for the pickups and vans..

My new radiator core is exactly the same width as the old one and is 4 inches shorter. BUT the new has these welded on channel brackets on the sides for mounting to the radiator support on the pickup/van..

Motorhome original radiator really doesn't have a radiator support..It is mounted with the side brackets to the main frame pieces..

So I had to cut the original bracket off with the top and bottom solder mount points..Then weld in an angle iron on each side to mount the aluminum brackets of the new radiator..4 bolts welded to the angle iron and 4 holes drilled in the aluminum bracket mounts the radiator to the old brackets..

Then it got hard to make this work..With the aluminum brackets of the new radiator, it make the whole assemble too wide..So I had to shave the right original bracket down..Grind it down to reduce the width..

I know that this is probable as clear as mud..But I will take plenty of pictures to show you..Here is the brackets after all the modifications and powder coating..

Fist pic shows the cut off of the top and bottom of the original brackets..The radiator now mounts to the brackets with 2 bolts and nuts on each side..

Second pic shows the area(left bracket) that I shaved off to reduce the width because of the aluminum brackets of the new radiator..

I spent many hours sitting in a chair next to all this, with many cold drinks figuring this all out..