Mike's 1973 D22 Complete tear out. From the Roof down!

Started by RockwoodMike, September 25, 2019, 11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockwoodMike

New Transmission Cooler is in :D This thing looks like it could keep a nuclear reactor cool..

Instead of 5/16 hard lines from the transmission to the cooler, I am going to use 6AN PTFE lines and all the end adapters..The PTFE type lines(instead of rubber braided lines) can take the heat of the hot oil..Gotta buy everything I need..
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

DaveVA78Chieftain

Many many many moons ago I also recall dissassembling the old radiator side brakets off the leaky patched radiator core and cobbling them together with the new aluminum core like your doing.  Was that fun (not).  No hope for hooking up the water fill pipe extension though so was fun getting in there trying to put water or antifreeze in the radiator.  Then the radiator fan shrood and air dams around the outside edges was even more fun.  Hmm, was that really 20 years ago? Yep, June 2003. Damn time flies and this stuff still bounces around in my head.
[move][/move]

RockwoodMike

Quote from: DaveVA78Chieftain on August 09, 2024, 11:45 PMNo hope for hooking up the water fill pipe extension though so was fun getting in there trying to put water or antifreeze in the radiator.

That is a bit of a problem..Nothing you can do..Drill a hole and TIG weld a pipe on to it??
The best mechanic is the one that can make it run with the least amount of parts!

RockwoodMike

The original rubber mounts for the side brackets are hard rubber rot..
Found some rubber discs on the bay..2 inches diameter and 1/4 thick..

Stack them up and that should hold everything in place..

Pic 1shows the original mount..Was 1 piece now 2 because it was just rotted..And the new discs..

Pic 2..This setup needs the center disc to be reduced down in diameter..Scissors work just fine..

Pic 3..3/8 hole punch for the center bolt..

Pic 4..Like the original mount..Rubber at top..middle and bottom

RockwoodMike

Received the new hoses and belts..Numbers for the Gates are in the picture..

The Gates 7460 works perfect for the alternator..Has the adjustment at mid range to tighten it..

But the 7460 is too short for the power steering..I ordered 7470 which is 1 inch longer..We'll see how that goes when it gets here from Rock Auto

The hoses look like what I need..I will show you when everything is hooked up..

RockwoodMike

The external regulator is here..Will not know if it works till the engine is running..

Pic 1..Blue wire to stater..Black to ground..Green to 1 of the field brushes..Red to Charge output and the other field brush..

Pic 2..Remove this one brush before you split the alternator open..Easier to assemble that way..

Pic 3..Attach it here as shown. You could attach to one of the other 2 positions but the wire is too short to mount the regulator if you do..

Pic 4..How it comes out the back window..Now put the alternator back together..

RockwoodMike

I had to make a little adapter bracket to make the mounting a little bit better..You can mount it without but it sits off and doesn't sit flat..It is just a piece of steel with 2 holes drilled..Just about anything will work..

Pic 2 Shows the full hook up of the wires.

Pic 3..Mounted on the engine with the belt tight ready to go..

RockwoodMike

Just received the Power steering belt from Rock Auto..It is an inch longer than the alternator belt..Fits just fine..

It is amazing what an extra inch can do in many situations.. :grin:  :rolleyes:

RockwoodMike

When I cleaned up and installed the valve covers, I accidentally installed them left side to right and right to left ..And it actually worked out better this way..

In picture 1 it shows this terrible contraption that installed on the right side of the engine at the far end of the right valve cover,,It was for the ease of adding motor oil to the engine without removing the inside engine cover..

The thing acted as a inlet breather for the PCV system also..

I bought a breather cover hole for the now left side valve cover..Picture 2

And finally a catch can for the PCV as shown for the 3rd picture..

So now I am forced to open the engine cover when ever I need oil added..

That is the way I like it..So that I will inspect the engine more often that way..The oil fill location is now the left rear valve

Eyez Open

It's quite amazing to look at a RV engine bay area, a total cluster bomb just waiting to go up In smoke are my thoughts. One just wonders at times just what they were thinking.

Oz

I believe they were thinking something like, "OK, let's design this so DYI owners have to go through the worst contortions to do the simplest job."

I give you the 440 driver's side spark plugs as just one example and the under dash fuse block as another...
 ;)
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Elandan2

QuoteI believe they were thinking something like, "OK, let's design this so DYI owners have to go through the worst contortions to do the simplest job."

And the master cylinder !!
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Oz on August 23, 2024, 09:25 PMI give you the 440 driver's side spark plugs as just one example

It is time to install the sparkplugs!! Plugs 1-3 on the drivers side were a little difficult to get in..But would be super hard if it wasn't for the brake master cylinder access door..With that open and least you can get your wrench in there to R and R the plugs..The other 6 were easy from the wheel well access..Now I don't have the wheels on the front, so I don't know what that will create for access difficulty..Hopefully I won't be changing plugs to often..

Pic 1..Plug number used..Set at .035..I opened them up to .045 because I am going to be using the HEI system for this..Instead of the anemic original system.

Pic 2..Autozone sparkplug socket..5/8..Has a magnet instead of a rubber boot to hold the plug while you struggle to install the plug..

Pic 3..View of the right side..2/4/6/8 cylinders..

Pic 4..Installed and torqued to 30 foot lbs spec from the service manual..

All done for the right side..

RockwoodMike

Left side(drivers) side now..

Pic 5-6..Plugs 5/7 can be seen from the wheel well..easy access

Pics7-8..Through the master cylinder access door, you can feel the plugs for 1-3..But it can be done easy enough..You can see the socket and a 1 inch extension to tighten those 2 plugs

RockwoodMike

Spark plug wires..These are original style plug wires and this one rubbed and burnt..Probable shorted out too..

Found a set of plug wires that are all straight boots..That will keep clearance from the exhaust..Also have some boot socks that will insulate from the exhaust heat..When all gets here will be interesting to see how it works out..

RockwoodMike

Time for the Transmission oil cooler lines..E bay kit with 20 feet of 6AN PTFE line with several fittings..

The second pic shows that the lines are going over the top of the transmission, forward on the right frame rail and the to the cooler itself..

here is a good video on the benefits of PTFE lines over regular rubber AN hose and how to put them together..

Elandan2

QuoteAlso have some boot socks that will insulate from the exhaust heat..When all gets here will be interesting to see how it works out..

With the factory manifolds, I would go through wires very quickly but after I added socks, the wires now last for years.
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

RockwoodMike

Working on the transmission cooler lines..This is a bunch easier than making bent hard lines like the originals..

Pic 1..Attached to the trans with clearance for the shift linkages..

Pic 2..Over the top from the left side to the right side frame..

Pic 3..Clamps to hold the lines to the frame and away from the exhaust.

Pic 4..Down the frame rail..Few more clamps and as soon as I have the external cooler mounted then hook up the lines to it

LJ-TJ

Well thanks to your inspiration I drug the old girl out of mothballs after two years. Dusted her off and drove all 21' 1975 Brave of her 600 miles to D-Day Conneaute Ohio.I forgot what a blast it was to sit tall in the saddle with a soft breeze blowing through the window listening to some good old country tunes. Rockwood Mike hang tough  buddy. She'll be worth all the effort your putting into her and them some.Keep up the great work. I'll be taking her out at least twice more this summer thanks to you.

Eyez Open

It wears me out just comprending the work he is doing,yet I do get it. I really believe I am going to look deeply into those routing lines he's using. Great stuff just looking from here.

RockwoodMike

Quote from: LJ-TJ on August 27, 2024, 11:36 AMWell thanks to your inspiration I drug the old girl out of mothballs after two years

Good for you!! :)clap  :)clap Tinker with it..inspect it..fix it..improve it..These things always need to be worked on..

I bet that you get smiles and thumbs up as you go down the road..Nostalgia at it's best

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Eyez Open on August 27, 2024, 12:49 PMI am going to look deeply into those routing lines he's using

Here is the kit that I bought..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374780307265?var=643823067612

Instead of simple rubber for the hose, it is PTFE..that is far superior to the rubber style..Just a bit mor trouble for the fittings install..

But PTFE is designed for petroleum products..and HOT petroleum
So it could be used for gasoline line..Hot oil for the cooler system..Transmission cooler

I am using the 6AN size and bought the 20 foot length..

The only thing outside of the kit was the fittings going to the transmission..
I needed 1/8 NPT-6AN..The threads at the transmission are 1/8th female NPT

Link..use the pull down menu to find your size...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374502063876?var=643464600341

RockwoodMike

Quote from: Elandan2 on August 25, 2024, 09:20 AMWith the factory manifolds, I would go through wires very quickly but after I added socks, the wires now last for years

My boot socks came and wires, coil and distributor cap..

I am going to have a GROUND POUNDING..EARTHQUAKE SHAKING..WINDOW RATTLING..TORNADO CREATING..ignition system..Nothing to good for my Becca..

Pic1 shows all the goodies!!

Pic 2 shows the boot over the sparkplug boot..

Pic 3..On the engine..That should protect it when things get moving!!

RockwoodMike

Working some more on the ignition..But before, I wanted to bench test it with a GM HEI Ignition..

Pic 1..This is what the distributor is suppose to look like at TDC of #1..Vacuum pod facing towards driver and rotor as shown..Down low and to the right..

I turned the engine to 20 degrees BTDC and you lineup the stator thingy to the pickup coil..Plenty of YT videos to see how it is done..

Pic 2..Hot wired it on the bench..With a heat sink from a computer to cool off the HEI modual..

Pic 3..Spun it with a drill motor...

Pic 4..WHACK..WHACK..WHACK..I am HAPPY!! :)clap  :grin:   

RockwoodMike

Screen shot from a YT video on the wire diagram