replacing Ceiling 78 Winnie Chieftain

Started by duramax, March 25, 2015, 07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duramax

I did a search but did not find much. I may go to look at a 78 Chieftain. I had someone take a quick peek and he says it is in OK shape. But the ceiling is not only drooping by the AC it has come apart. Is it just compressed paper or is it luan? He is an RV tech and says there is no mold, stains and no signs of leakage. The roof is in good condition. I do remember reading that those panels  are installed over the interior walls ( bathroom, closets). How do you install a new ceiling. Maybe a real headliner or some vinyl as in the new RV's would be easier to install? Thanks

Rickf1985

Not trying to be smart but if the guy you talked to is an RV tech then he should be able to answer those questions. Sorry but I don't have the answers. I am still trying to find out the same thing about my 89.

gadgetman

Haven't done a RV ceiling myself either but I did see a guy do ine on a boat that turned out nice. He used a 3/4 in track system that he slit 12" ceiling tiles in. The tiles were made to slide in the tracks and overlap the channel. It was a kewl set up and easy to install. Google it ya might find something.

duramax

Installing a modern  "headliner" would not be a problem if it were not for the interior dividing walls ( bathroom, closets, etc. I am sure someone has tackled this problem as many of the old Winnies have that problem. I doubt any mobile RV tech would have the answer. Many of them do not do cosmetic items( upholstery, cabinetmaking, etc.). Our Bluebird( and many other motorhomes) have a system where you install the tracks at a predetermined distance. Maybe 2 feet apart. The  vinyl or fabric is held to the track with a vinyl plastic molding. Similar to the systems many RV's on the exterior seams. BUT on the Bluebird there was a hat channel at the same distance .  That allowed you to rivet the track to the hat channel. On a Winnie are there wood "joists that go across the ceiling under the roof? How far apart are they?

Oz

Take a read of the 3rd reply in this post:

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,1882.msg2180.html#msg2180

Read some interesting options using "ceiling panel" in the search box.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

duramax

THanks Oz. Idid read that post but does a 78 or older Winnie have Styrofoam in the ceiling or is it fiberglass? We had an older travel trailer and they screwed the ceiling panels to the roof joists but used the plastic rosettes to make it "pretty" Used to be common in the RV and mobile home industry . But from the factory much of the ceiling was held up by the cabinets and the interior dividing walls. There were not that many rosettes

Oz

Laminated with styrofoam.  That was the staple for Winnebagos through the 1970s with the eyebrow Winies.  In one of my 74s, the panel was not one large piece, but 3 sections, the seams having a simple "T" channel between them, no rosette screws.  It was the original ceiling.

duramax

Thanks Oz:  In that case I am going to assume that the panels are glued to the Styrofoam.

Oz

joev

do you have pics of how it looks now the sag in the ceiling
there is several of us here that have done a complete ceiling and roof replacement
usally if the ceiling is saging there is an issue with the roof structure

Oz

and anyone who's explored what's behind the sag will agree with joev.

DaveVA78Chieftain

The wall and ceiling panels both are a laminated sandwich.  Luan plywood glued to each side of the styrofoam core.  Water wicks up the luan resulting in it deteriorating over time.  As such the luan loses the rigidity and strength it originally had resulting in the sagging condition.  Additionally, Winnebago placed a sheet of aluminum over the ceiling.  It corrodes over time resulting in pinholes developing that allows moisture access to the luan underneath which results in deterioration.  Time is the enemy along with poorly sealed roofs that allow moisture to seep in.  If water is allowed to enter around around the roof edges the 1 x 2 wood frame around the roof swells allowing even more water to seep in via the seam (seam widens do to the wood swelling).  The wood frame and luan soak up all this moisture and slowly deteriorate resulting in loss of rigidity and structural strength.

Same thing happens to the walls, especially under leaking windows or along the wall to exterior skirt joint at the floor line.

Keeping joints sealed to prevent moisture entry is the key to survival of these ole girls. Because of the wicking action, it does not have to be a major visible water leak to degrade the integrity of the wood elements..

Dave
[move][/move]