Need horizontal propane tank source....

Started by Elandan2, December 08, 2008, 12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coachmen1972

Sent: 21/07/2006 4:08 PM

After reading around here and there, I don't think Sir Gasalot's 35 year old rusted valve stem leaking propane BOMB is going to cut it.

Rather than replacing the valve, painting it and THEN finding out no one will fill it I'll play it safe and get a fresh one.....

Who knows the best deal on a horizontal mount ASME tank?

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 23/07/2006 9:09 AM

Camping World has pretty decent prices on horizontal tanks, but they still aren't what anyone would call "cheap".  Maybe someone else here knows a better cheaper place to get them?

Just how rusty IS your tank?  Mine looked pretty crusty when I first brought the Ark home, but once I cleaned up the surface rust, I discovered that most of it was just peeling paint stained a pretty rust color (now do NOT do what I did and sandblast your tank...lol...I thought it was empty, sandblasted it down to bare metal, watching all the pretty sparks, and then when I was done, cracked the valve and heard HISSSSSSS, and smelled propane!...IF you chose to sandblast it, remove all the valves and any other threaded component, and fill the tank with an inert gas to displace the propane).  A wire brush will remove enough paint scale for you to determine just how deep the rust goes.  These tanks won't rust from the inside out, not unless they were left forever with the valves open and moisture got inside the tank.

So then, lets assume your tank is in pretty good condition after all, once you clean off all the old paint and rust.  The next step would be to replace all the valves and fittings...the filler valve, the vent valve, maybe the guage, and the exit valve and regulator.  If you can salvage any of the above, do so, cuz by the time you by them all at full price, its almost the cost of a new tank with all the valves already attached!

Another option is to take the tank down to a propane distributor who tests tanks...they will pressure test the tank for you.  While recertifying horizontal tanks isn't legally required, it offers peice of mind that all is well.  In our case, the tank was in such good condition after being cleaned and painted we didn't bother.  We are going to have to replace the shutoff valve at some point though, since you have to have it just right for it not to leak a bit...and just a bit is dangerous! 

Good luck!  If you end up having to replace all the valves and whatnot, you are probably better off getting a new tank, but it all depends on your budget.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

ramit