Brakes fade on up-hills

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 08:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 6/20/2005 3:51 PM

Hi folks!  I'm assuming this is normal and just the nature of the beast with our heavy rigs and drum brakes, but I thought I'd post this anyway to make sure.

When going down most hills, even steep ones, I can pretty much coast, and the Ark stays at around 40mph.

On REALLY steep downhills through the mountains, I had to ride the brakes hard to keep on the road! 

Now, I know to take my foot off the pedal to let them cool periodically, but this isn't always feasable.

We had to stop a couple of times when the brakes started fading to let the drums cool.

Is this normal?

Kev

Sent: 6/20/2005 7:40 PM

Im dont know about normal,but I dont ride the brakes.When the engine wont hold the speed down (rarely) I brake to drop the speed 20 MPH or so,then release and let speed slowly build up again. I wouldnt ride em,folks do that up here (the 'Flatlander'  visitors) You can smell the brakes burning when they go by.

BooBoo

Sent: 6/20/2005 7:57 PM

I havent driven down steep grades much. I didnt notice any brake fade the one time we came downhill from Loveland pass into Denver, but we were in 2nd gear 3/4ths of the distance. I havent noticed any fade in crossing West Virginia either. Try to learn if your front left and right brake drums and both of the rear brake drums are getting hot evenly - to make sure both sides of the system are working.

Sent: 6/20/2005 10:39 PM

It could be normal.  Did you downshift?  Of course, with automatics, sometimes that doesn't help, but it's worth a shot on the steeper grades.

Sent: 6/21/2005 11:11 AM

I checked the drums when we stopped, and all of them were warm, but not smoking hot.  They all seemed to be about equal in temperature.

I didn't exactly "ride" the brakes, as I know better...lol.  I would ride them until we slowed to about 20mph, and then let it coast until we hit about 40mph...and so on and so forth.

I didn't try downshifting.  I was under the impression, like Ed mentioned, that automatics simply freewheel downhill, regardless of the gear you are in.  Is this true, or should I try downshifting?

I should mention that by "brake fade", I didn't mean an extreme fade.  It was a barely perceptable fade, but I noticed it. 

Thanks guys!

Kev and Patti Smith

Sent: 6/21/2005 1:00 PM

Automatic tranny dont freewheel, lots of people downshift. If you pull the level down into 2nd, it will go into that gear, and retard your downhill motion, and spin the engine faster. I get it get up to about 3600 rpm before I use the brakes at all.
On long downhills I always downshift if it tells the truckers to do so. On really steep 2 lane country roads, going down in first works excellent. Hopefully there wont be too many SUVs behind you wanting to go the speed limit.
Some slight brake fade would seem to be normal. I noticed that too, but I still felt I could stop it. I like drum brakes. That brake fade is telling you important information. With disc brakes if you overheat things enough to cause damage, you wont know it.

Sent: 6/21/2005 3:31 PM

Like Denison and others say,dont be afraid to downshift,and it will hold down your speed.And if you have to,put it in first and go down real  slow.The heck with the guys behind you,pull over as you can to let them pass.They sure arent going to pay for your brake job,or pay your damages if you get hurt! Ive done lots of 7% plus grades,your rig can handle em,just treat it like a big truck that it is,that was good advice.

BooBoo

Sent: 6/21/2005 4:44 PM

Thanks guys!  I'll try downshifting if we need too on our way up 81 North tomorrow! 

Kev