Need Source for Metallic Brake Shoes

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 26, 2008, 10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 5/23/2005 4:00 PM

I'm looking for a source for metallic brake shoes for our 1969 Winnie F-17. It has a P100 Ford Chassis frame.

Sent: 5/24/2005 1:50 AM

My 1st question might be why? Metallic shoes will wear out the drums much faster and those old drums are not all that inexpensive or easy to come by at all.

Might give Alretta Brake Parts a call and ask for Geoff.

Here's the link. Good luck .

http://ebiz.netopia.com/brakeparts/contactinformation/

Regards,

Robert Donley
Jenison, MI

Sent: 5/24/2005 5:23 AM

We put new brakes on our Winnie, using organic brake pads, and it still takes serious leg strength to stop the rig (when its fully loaded with water etc.). We had the same problem with our truck and switched to metallic brake shoes and it stops a LOT faster. We are hoping to get the same effect with the Winnie.

Sent: 5/24/2005 8:54 AM

Please keep us posted. My wife is not eager to drive the Winny (except on flat straight interstates), and the rake pedal pressure is one minor reason; even with the its hydrovac boosters. And I obtained an extra set of good used drums already. 

Sent: 5/24/2005 8:55 AM

Does the '69 chassis have brake boosters?  If it does, they'll be attached underneith to the frame about half way back.  You may have one, or two...they are big hollow things with brake lines and vacumm hoses attached.

I ask this because on our 72, I also had to use considerable leg strength to get the brakes to stop the Ark...until I replaced all of the vacumm hoses going to the boosters:  They were all dry-rotted.

SeaRay is right:  Metallic pads will eat up your drums in short order.  If you have a booster, you shouldn't have to fight with your brakes.  If your '69 didn't come with a booster, I'd add one or two before I put metallic pads in my old drums.

Kev

Sent: 5/24/2005 4:26 PM

Mine is organic shoes,takes more strength than a car to stop,but it isnt exactly taking a Gorilla to do it.If such is the case,and new shoes,look at the boosters.Mine went out,it was intermittant,when it wasnt working,thing took 3-4 times as long to  stop while literally standing on brakes.If this is you,replace/repair the booster(s)

Have you all pretty much noticed I've replaced evey mechanical  engine/chassis part there is,because I  have.Worth it too.

BooBoo

Sent: 5/30/2005 12:11 AM

No, ours did not come with brake  boosters. We are considering putting them in. Is it a huge job? Where did you mount the booster? How much room does it take?

Sent: 5/30/2005 9:13 AM

i did a search for Velvetouch brake shoes which used to be the "hot set-up" when i was young and found they still seem to be available. here's a couple of #'s you might try for info;
northwest friction in portland, or. 800-525-5008
metal frictions 206-364-8560

Sent: 5/30/2005 11:10 AM

WOW! Im amazed they made a MH without power brakes. Im lucky,I have the booster that mounts to the master cilander(sp) so its easy to get to and relatively easy and cheap to replace,think 135 dollars or so.

BooBoo

Sent: 5/30/2005 10:45 PM

Putting in a vacuum booster that is remotely operated could be a moderate job - if you can find room under the RVand dont run into other snags. If your brake system is a simplex one, you would need one booster, or it is a dual system, you would need to add two boosters,and presumable identical ones. You might look to see what kinds of remote boosters were used on Ford trucks the same year as your motorhome. I would start by searching for a Ford Light Truck service manul for the same years your chassis is. The brake systems in there would have the elements most likely to work with your current system, without adding tricky problems about residual valves, proportioning valves, etc. You could figure on replacing all of the brake hoses, since the line pressure with the booster could be much higher than it was with your non-boosted system.
Some late model (diesel) trucks have boosters that use hydraulic pressure instead of a vacuum for the assist, and have a built in electric motor to produce the hydraulic pressure. It seems unnerving to step on the brake and hear a motor run - but they certainly stop the vehicle nicely.
You could search the internet to find forums where the off-road folks beef up the brake systems in their 4 by 4s.
And you might have trouble getting advice from brake service places, due to product liability concerns. Its best to walk in the door to talk to them about such stuff.