Simple (and easy) Roof Repair

Started by OldEdBrady, May 30, 2011, 11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldEdBrady

The Alfa had a leak from the roof over the bedroom area.  I tried everything to seal it.  I used Eternabond.  I used silicone.  I even went so far as to try metal roof repair stuff.  Nothing worked.  It kept leaking.

At a local RV parts dealer, I found a can of stuff that was my last option.  It came in both quart and gallon sizes.  So I bought it in the quart size, since I didn't want to have a lot left over once I found it wouldn't work.

HAH!  I brushed it on over the leak area.  The next day, the acid test:  Rain.  Lots of it.  Leak was gone!

So, I used the rest of the quart and put on a veyr light coat across the entire roof.  And found there was also a major leak at the fron left end.  I hadn't really seen it before because it was in an unlighted cabinet.

The product?  Dyco 890.

This stuff sets in about 30 minutes (about 24 hours for full cure).  With the next rain storm, no more leaks.  So I went back, got the gallon size, and put on a heavier coat when the weather was clear enough.

We haven't had a leak from the roof since.  I highly recommend this stuff for a quick fix.  I just ran it across the roof with a paint roller and caught the edges with a paint brush.  Simplest fix I've done with any project on the entire trailer.

Froggy1936

Here is a new one that i just saw on facebook  http://www.rv-armor.com/  Looks promising Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

Rickf1985

Looks interesting but the key word is right in the beginning of the video. This is NEW system. What I read into that is that nobody knows what it is going to look like ten years down the road. It is a two day intensive job which means it is a very expensive job. I think I will wait for a bit on this one, I am not much of a gambler since I have nothing to gamble away. The other thing is that they show the guy taking great care to remove every little piece of caulk but then in other parts of the video it shows them wiping off vents with old caulk on them right before adding their primer. You have to look quick to see that one. Of coarse they are going to show a guy being meticulous in their video but do you think the guy coming out to your place will be as good? Maybe, not likely.

JerryP

Quote from: Rickf1985 on April 03, 2015, 10:36 AM
Looks interesting but the key word is right in the beginning of the video. This is NEW system. What I read into that is that nobody knows what it is going to look like ten years down the road. It is a two day intensive job which means it is a very expensive job. I think I will wait for a bit on this one, I am not much of a gambler since I have nothing to gamble away. The other thing is that they show the guy taking great care to remove every little piece of caulk but then in other parts of the video it shows them wiping off vents with old caulk on them right before adding their primer. You have to look quick to see that one. Of coarse they are going to show a guy being meticulous in their video but do you think the guy coming out to your place will be as good? Maybe, not likely.

Are you skeptical of the marketing tactics....
That attitude will not make other people rich mister.
He did say one thing,
The part about having to have a good base roof structure to do a good job, which is the number one rule for any roof.
I found it interesting that they go over old plastic roofs, and am curious what stops the old plastic roof from peeling off at 65mph.... like they often do when they get old, and are repaired by simply coating over the old roof, which tends to be a patch on a patch, on a patchwork of patches...
New coating over old based that needs replacing??
Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress

eXodus

I've got peel and seal now on my roof for about a year, still holding up well.

http://www.mfmbp.com/purchase/store/tabid/81/ProdID/2/Peel_and_Seal.aspx

It was original not intended for RV roofing - but it used a lot down here in Florida, and our winds are getting much more intense then driving with 70 over a Interstate. We've got 140mph winds and this stuff stays on. So after this experiences the manufacturer does it now label for RVs.

Relatively easy to apply, but heavy as metal

Rickf1985

I saw some liquid rubber in a handyman magazine I get and I thought that would be great fer repairs. It is thick and is brushed on. I will have to look it up again, I think it is a two part system. Rubber and a catalyst mix.
I was thinking the same thing when he showed the leaks around the wires and the fridge vent and even mentioned about how when water gets in it does damage. Then they just covered it up. And that was a rubber roof. So there is moisture under it which means the adhesive is gone, not to mention the structure. The lifetime guarantee is the lifetime of the company, they neglect to tell you that. And yes, I am very skeptical of marketing "ploys".

TerryH

(The lifetime guarantee is the lifetime of the company, they neglect to tell you that. And yes, I am very skeptical of marketing "ploys".)

Totally agree. Also, is the "lifetime guarantee" on the product or on the "Trained and certified applicator"? Does it cover the material only, or the labor if there is a problem, or both?
Generally it is material only. Problem with  material issues is that it requires labor to deal with the issue, labor at your cost.
Roofing company offering a "Lifetime Guarantee" - good luck finding them a few years down the road. Same thing with the applicator.
Personal experience has been that a company like Snap On that offers a "lifetime guarantee" is fully legitimate and long termed.
A roofing company? I'd be very sceptical.
No offence meant to any roofers out here, but seriously - LIFETIME-?
Whose lifetime?
Terry
It is not our abilities that show what we truly are - it is our choices.
Albus Dumbledore

eXodus

Yeah Lifetime warranty is something has not a lot of value with such small businesses backing it up.
Would be nice if they would be there in a couple of years, to try to repair their mess.

JerryP

Love being on a forum with sensible people...
So little of that anymore..
A life time warranty from Ford, or GM would be good, a Lifetime warranty from Bobs Drunkard Roofing Company does not mean much...

Jerry P
89 Winnebago Chieftain 23RC
A work in progress