Filling and using pressurized water system

Started by lumpy, May 16, 2009, 10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lumpy

Sent: 6/30/2008

Can someone please explain how to use the pressurized system I have on my 73 Indian. It has the fill on the read that has a fitting for a hose and a gauge on the top with a air pressure fitting. when you add water do you need to release pressure? I know inside there is a pump switch for the system. I assume when you fill the tank the pressure would build up without releasing pressure and hence would not completely fill the tanks.

Sorry for the questions but I searched to know avail and I wish I could find a Winnebago owners manual on this old rig that explains all the function.

Hell I got switches that I do know really understand

Oh on that thought the generator has a separate gas tank in the rear, I thought that the gen set would run off the main tanks. there are two gas switches on the dash that both read main and aux. are one of these for the generator??

thanks in advance

Mike

malodin

well, in theory you're supposed to be able to open the top part where the gauge is and just water hose fill it all the way up(that will allow the air to bleed out as it fills) most don't open anymore, as my other post speaks of. the garden hose is for hooking it up to a "city water" line that you would use on a regular day to day basis, thus pressurizing as you use.

what i have found works, is hook up the hose and turn it on slowly then open a couple faucets and allow it to fill up to that point, then once they start running close them off and go out back and watch the pressure gauge as it starts building there is a little tire valve thing that you can depress and relive the pressure that way. its a slow p.i.t.a process but it is doable

The_Handier_Man1

On my '73D22I when I fill up my fresh water tanks there is a small copper line connected to the top of the 2 steel water tanks that has a valve on it and it goes through the floor.  I open the valve and hook the garden hose to the hose fill fitting and fill until water comes out the vent line under the rig.  I have an on demand pump, not like the original system that used an air compressor to pressurize the tanks.  When water is used I hear air being sucked in through the hose fitting where I fill up the tanks. Hope that helps,  Les

lumpy

Sent: 7/1/2008

how much pressure should this type of system have

malodin

good question, i wouldn't be worried to much about pressure as it is made to take city water inlet(your garden hose pressure, and i think most residential is around 30-60psi)

does your pump work?

lumpy

yes pump works , and shuts off The outside fill has the gauge but I doubt it's accuracy.

it goes up to 100 If I remember correctly . can't see the system holding that much pressure, it would blow the fixture gaskets.

I thought the gauge was for water capacity at first, but remembered there is a fresh water gauge inside on the wall.

malodin

we are in the exact same boat, on my other post there is a guy who swapped out his filler inlet to a newer modern style, most RV places i have talked to say you have to go with a pump type system that doesn't pressurize the tank but pulls, and then pushes the water around(i like my little air compressor) if i ever switch to plastic tanks i will probably go with that kind.

the way i fill it is this.

hook the garden hose up to the inlet, go in turn on the bathroom sink faucet both hot and cold, that will "bleed" the lines out of air as the main tanks fill up, then close those off when they start running, and open the kitchen sink both hot and cold.  then when they start running smoothly(not burping air) close them off, you will then start building pressure in the system, then i usually wedge something small in the tire valve thing and let the water fill up(mind you you don't want the water filling up fast or it will over power the air bubble and you will prematurely see water flowing out the valve) i usually have my hose on half way or so.  then when water starts coming out the tire valve thing turn the hose off, go check the water level in the tanks, you will probably be 3/4 or so full, then go back out and relieve the pressure in the valve and keep working it like that till you can eek out as much as possible.  you will never get full but close to it.

if you are staying in it where there is water hooked up, just fill it and let the water pressurize it.

malodin

Sent: 7/2/2008

so today i am trying to fill my water tank and i look really closely and low and behold i have that water fitting that leads out to the bottom of the floor, only my "valve" has been twisted off so its stuck shut pretty much. on mine it is hidden under the dual power outlet box(i don't know if its factory or after market) but it was hidden under that and just at the edge of the plywood plank hanging down.

Brownfamily

Anyone have any info on the pressure gauge filler equipment on the 73 Indian ?
As above posts note my gauge is frozen on so it can't be filled that way. I do connect it to the hose bib but the pressure lock has a leak when disconnected. Would like to keep it original as much as possible. Replacement parts? Info?   
Jon

1973 Winnebago Indian D-24 M400 Chassis

DaveVA78Chieftain

QuoteAnyone have any info on the pressure gauge filler equipment on the 73 Indian ?

Download the 73 Chieftain Operators manual http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/page,page300.html

Page 48 - Water System

Far as I know parts are no longer available. Thats why people converter to a water pump

Dave
[move][/move]

Brownfamily

Figure 43 on page 50 is the part I am questioning. Does anyone know if they make this filler/gauge anymore? Again goal is to keep original as much as possible and fix the pressure leak. The system has been changed over to all plastic water lines, pump, etc. it appears the gauge on these has been frozen on most of them. Still hoping for a replacement, fix etc.
Jon

DaveVA78Chieftain

No, not made anymore.  Only source would be used in a junkyard.

Dave
[move][/move]

Brownfamily

Thanks. Bummer. They are pretty cool. From what I see the gauge fill being frozen up is common so probably wouldn't doo much good.
Jon

Mcamden

I have a 69 Winnebago travel trailer with a pressurized water system. I also see a water pump installed just after the water tank. Both the water pump and pressure pump are hooked up, but I am not sure which work until I get the electrical figured out. I would like to replace the broken water fill..thing with a standard city fill hookup, and I am wondering if that is the correct thing to do. Assuming the water pump works...I wouldn't need the pressure pump, right?

Oz

Correct, you wouldn't need both.  Typically, the original pump, although still hooked up, is most likely not working, so the on-demand pump was added, which is a better system anyway.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca