Connecting shore power to inverter?

Started by LJ-TJ, May 15, 2015, 06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJ-TJ

So here's my question. I've installed a Motomaster 1750 watt inverter as well as two Trojan T-150 Batteries. Now do I just plug my shore power plug into my inverter to get power to all my plugs. i??

DRMousseau

FIRST,... let me say, Your gonna want your converter isolated from your inverter system. The following might not be the best, and I'd be curious as to how others handle this.

I have an outlet inside the back access panel that is wired into my AC system. Not sure if this is typical and it appears a mod of the PO. This gives me a handy spot to plug in an exterior extension, light power tools, outside lights or even the fridge if necessary. Since the panel door is heavy, strong and folds down, it serves as a nice workbench where such an outlet is handy. The panel provides access to my Boondocker converter/charger, 2000W inverter, shoreline, coach fuses, etc,... you know.

MY CONVERTER,.... is physically plugged into this outlet ONLY WHEN NEEDED, to preserve battery charge. It is NOT hard wired into the AC system. I plug the converter into this outlet when on shore power and/or generator power ONLY. Of course I also have to throw the necessary breakers between shore power or generator.

IF I'm running on BATTERIES ONLY (boondocking), my converter must be UNPLUGGED from that outlet,... before plugging my shoreline into the 2000W inverter with adapter, and turning inverter on. This system works fine for me, and I also have a battery monitor inside that lets me observe battery status and charge.
Welcome,..
To The Crazy Old Crow Medicine Show
DR Mousseau - Proprietor
Elixirs and Mixers, Potions and Lotions, Herbs, Roots, and Oils
"If I don't have it,... you don't need it!"

moonlitcoyote

I also need an answer to this question, I just purchased a 2k watt inverter and do not want to mess anything up.

If I hook the inverter to the batteries do I just plug my shore power cord into the inverter?

Do I need to shut off any breakers inside the converter?

And if I want to mount the inverter permanently do I just unhook it from the batteries when I am going to plug into shore power so I dont blow the inverter?

Thanks for all and any answers. Looking forward to having an inverter that will run the tv and computers.

DaveVA78Chieftain

1.  You have to turn the CB that provides power to the converter to off.  You would set up a loop circuit where the inverter is powering the converter and the converter is trying to charge the battery.  Just will not work so turn CB to converter to off.
2.  Actually, you should not have to disconnect the inverter when plugged into shore power.  I am not sure why the other 2 AZ inverters blew which is why I said disconnect from shore power though you should not have to.  There was some form of back feed that blew the AZ inverters.  What voltage are you getting out of your converter?
3.  How many house batteries do you have and what items are you trying to run when on inverter power?

Dave
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

1. so I guess you mean there is a breaker that is labeled converter and I would shut that off?

2.How do I check the voltage coming out of the inverter?

3. I have 2 house batteries and I didnt get as far as running anything on the inverter...

My story goes like this, I bought an inverter from AZ went to the parking lot and hooked it up to the jeep battery and it worked. So I brought it home and hooked it to the winny house battery and nothing, it would not power on or do anything at all. So I hooked it up to the jeep again and nothing, it was fried I guess because it would no longer work even on the jeep.

This inverter I got from Harbor freight is a 2k/4k that was $130 on sale. (normally $299) I cannot afford to burn up another inverter just by plugging it in so it is still sitting in the box until I figure out what I did wrong with the 1st 2 inverters.

DaveVA78Chieftain

I assume you got the Model 69662.  As far as hookup, they are all the same on the DC side.
You do need a positve and a negative cable between the battery and inverter.  It is really this simple.

Most do not try to connect the shore power cable into the inverter.   They simply run seperate cables to the individual AC devices.  I would try that first to verify everything is working ok. 

AC voltage check is with a voltmeter (AC mode).  Done the same way you would check a wall socket.

As far as what happened with the AZ units, I can only guess that you swapped the battery cables.  That is the only thing that makes since.
[move][/move]

moonlitcoyote

That's the problem I know I got the cables right.  That's why I am worried about hooking this new one up.  I guess I will just unplug the shore power before I try it.  It would be nice if i could plug the shore power into the inverter though instead of running extension cords all over the place... that number 2 question was supposed to say how do I check the voltage coming from the converter not inverter.  I was going to answer your question 2 but not sure where to read volts for the converter.

DRMousseau

I'm using the same 2000W/4000W modified sine inverter from Harbor Freight. It is connected to the batteries with 12' of a 1/0 fine strand copper cable typically used for welding and cost me nearly $100 with heavy terminal lugs. When you see the current draw on your batteries from a small microwave oven, you'll know why you want such a cable. Although permanently and securely connected directly to my T-105 battery bank, it is switched "ON" only when in use. It IS NOT hard wired into my AC system! If I wish to power my AC system with my inverter, I simply plug my 30A shoreline into it with a 20A 110V adapter.

My CONVERTER is also permanently and securely wired to my battery system with heavy multi-strand copper wire cable. It IS NOT hard wired into my AC system. It is physically plugged into my AC system when needed (mostly to maintain battery charge) AND ONLY when using the generator or outside shore power,... I NEVER PLUG IN THE CONVERTER, WHEN USING THE INVERTER TO POWER THE AC SYSTEM!!!

The 2000W/4000W inverter IS a modified sine wave inverter, and I have found but one, quirky electronic to be sensitive and somewhat incompatible with it. That being a touch sensitive, on-off-high-med-low incandescent table lamp. Works fine on shore power,... jus not with the inverter. Everything else,... is jus fine. The inverter also has a low voltage alarm that I can hear inside the coach, and shuts off automatically when battery voltage is too low. AC output is in direct relation to DC input,... I notice my microwave getting weak and taking longer when battery voltage is low.

Voltage readings of converter??? Input from shore power or genny should be 110V-125V. I read output at the converter and compare it to a reading at my batteries. I have a .2V loss at my batteries when charging due to long cables from my converter. This voltage reading will vary depending on battery charge state and converter charging status. I use a battery monitor system at the batteries to constantly watch this and monitor current draw, charging rate, charge capacity, voltages, etc.

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor

moonlitcoyote

I dont know much about my converter except that it is in the box with all my breakers. So I am guessing from your post that I should shut off the breaker to the converter when I use the inverter? I do not plan on using the microwave when I am using the inverter until I get a bigger battery bank. And if I understood correctly you do plug your shore line into your inverter in order to have power to your outlets?

DaveVA78Chieftain

When you installed the new converter (http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php/topic,10380.msg58002.html#msg58002), the black wire went to the AC circuit breaker used to turn on/off the converter.

I wish I knew why the AZ units went bad.  Unfortunately I do not.

Dave

[move][/move]

DRMousseau

Yes,... I DO plug my shore cable into the inverter. If I had my converter on a breaker as you do, then I would only turn it on when needed, and NOT while running on the inverter!!!

Remember,... your inverter will draw DC power even when no appliances are used. I usually unplug the inverter at night when not needed.

I really only run the converter to maintain charge of the two T-105s. My DC usage is rather low for me,... jus the water pump & lights and I have converted most to LEDs. Fan and furnace motors can use a lot of DC though.

Welcome,..
DR Mousseau - Proprietor