When it rains it pours... Leaky Water Heater

Started by Trunkhill1, October 20, 2015, 12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trunkhill1

Sorry no pics to share yet...  Posting this for advice/sympathy.

I've replaced every linear inch of piping in my 40 year old trailer with braided washing machine lines and various new brass fittings, PLUS replaced the shower faucet as it too had leaks from the back side....
Filled my fresh water tank, pressurized it to 80 psi and looked over every inch only to find a slow leak coming from the bottom of the hot water heater unit (which is OEM - 40 years old).  I opened the shroud and used a flashlight and mirror to try to find the source of the leak to no avail (due in part to tight space).  Read the various forum posts on similar issues...

So on to my dilemma.  Should I pull the unit, open it up and see if there's an easy fix (I hope and pray)?  OR being that it's 40 years old, likely a galvanized tank that may be rusted out, bit the bullet and buy a brand new one.

I don't want to buy a new one and considered JB Weld only to be advised that under pressure/heat/use that it'd probably not hold up or another leak would ensue.

Thanks for enduring my little saga and any advice would be greatly appreciated!

xerofall

Used water heaters and even the new ones aren't that much money. If you've gone through the trouble of replacing all the piping and hoses, what's one more component? If I were to JB weld something, in the back of my mind I'd always be wondering if it's going to hold. I'd always be wondering where the next leak will spring. That's how I look at it.

Check your local classifieds, there's bound to be used ones, new ones and even people that refurbish broken ones.

I was close to buying a new one for about $125 when a relative of my wife offered his used one. He even installed it for me! One less thing to worry about, you know?

legomybago

Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

Trunkhill1

HandyDan

Bite the bullet and buy a new one.  They aren't that hard to install, the old one is probably completely gunked up, and a new one will work more efficiently than a 40 year old one.  Just try to find one with the same dimensions as the old one.   
1984 Holiday Rambler
1997 Newmar Kountry Star

DaveVA78Chieftain

I have tried all the work arounds (JB Weld, aluminum welding, etc.).  Because of the pitting at the bottom of the tank, they simply do not hold up.  Trust me, replace it with a nice DSI model.  You will not regret it.  DSI does mean a little wiring but sure is sweet.  I picked up a used DSI + electric off EBAY from a wrecked RV for $150.
[move][/move]

Trunkhill1

Thanks all for the commiserating.  I pulled the unit, took off the shroud and found it had pitting/rust from the weld seam at the bottom of the tank. 
I found a new one on Amazon with the same dimensions for $240 (free shipping).  I'll be putting it in next week hopefully.