Looking for tube-type radial tires

Started by The_Handier_Man1, November 28, 2008, 09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 5/19/2004 12:10 PM

I have a '72 Chieftain with 17 inch split rims and tube-type 8 ply tires.  The tires are showing signs of dry rot and need to be replaced.  I'm hoping to find radial tires with tubes to fit the rims.  I would love to change all the rims, but can't find wheels with only 5 lug holes.   Can anybody help me?  Thanks!

Sent: 5/19/2004 12:21 PM

I just had new radials installed on my 16" split-rims, with liners and tubes added.  The tire shop didn't seem to have any trouble finding what they needed, although they did have to send the rims out to another shop to have them installed.  The new radials are brand "Courser" which are made by Cooper.  Try a shop that specializes in truck tires, they should have what you need.

Sent: 5/19/2004 12:57 PM

Are they 7.50 x 17's? I have a source here in Denver. E-mail me if you are interested.

Colin

Sent: 7/13/2004 10:39 PM

I am in the process right now of replacing the 13 yr old tires on my rig. The rubber on all the exposed surfaces is seriously weather checked and cracked. The original 7.50 x 17's were Power King brand and they can still be purchased.

Contacted Southwest Wheel regarding repacing the split rims and this is the reply I got:

Sorry this is an obsolete bolt pattern made by the old Budd Wheel Company.

If you would like to speak with a sales representative please call
1-800-866-3336.

Join the Southwest Wheel News Letter at:
http://lb.bcentral.com/ex/manage/subscriberprefs.aspx?customerid=9850

Thank you,

Darrick Sweeden
Southwest Wheel Company
www.southwestwheel.com
www.brakecontroller.com
www.utilitytrailerkit.com
www.etrailerpart.com
www.hdpsales.com
www.secureyourtrailer.com

Sent: 7/14/2004 8:20 AM

The 5 bolt pattern might be "obsolete", but there are a lot of the 17 inch split rim wheels on RVs in salvage yards - I got an extra set just to have them. I removed them myself, they cost me $100 for the set of 7 wheels, with boots. Also there are, or were, 19.5 inch one-piece steel wheels with the same 5 bolt pattern. They were available in the middle 70s, are harder to find in salvage yards as there werent as many RVs that had them. There were also aluminum one-piece wheels made for the 5 bolt pattern, also for 19.5 inch tires, made by Alcoa. I suspect they are still available if you keep searching - though they might have to back order them, and they wont be inexpensive.
I will be buying some new 17 inch bias ply tires this fall, as soon as I get the summer vacation expenses paid off. I will see about the Power King brand. The 17 inch tires I liked the best were a -low-price brand- made by Cooper, and they lasted over 12 years. I sort of doubt they make them anymore - they last too long.
I do all of my own tire mounting and demounting, and can understand why a tire business would not want to deal with the split rims; rust & time. I clean the rust from mine, examine them closely, and reassemble them carefully. It takes me a couple of hours! 

Sent: 7/23/2004 11:00 PM

Yup,

I have heard 'bout the 19.5" 5 bolt rims. What I would like to locate is a 1-piece 5-bolt rim that is the original 17.5" size. I wanna keep the same wheel circumference and speedometer ratio. Although I haven't taken the tires off myself, I watched the tire people do three. Didn't look too hard. Since it takes them a couple weeks to get the Power Kings in I had plenty of time to power wash and repaint the old rims with rustoleum. Waitin on the last tire to get in and then will be takin a ride in my '72 winnie. Still needs a tail pipe. Rusted away from the muffler. Thinkin bout a piece of flex tube. My old cab-over International tractor had a section of flex and I thinkin there may be flex in the Freightliner I'm drivin now. Dunno if an original tailpipe can still be had unless I can find someone to bend new tubing to shape... Thanx for the suggestions.

Regards,
Robert Donley

Sent: 7/26/2004 1:31 AM

Hello Friends,

Well, there is a place here in the NW that deals in Rims/Tires and a whole lot more, The business name is "Six Robblees"  I am not sure of a contact number, but, here is the Web site  www.sixrobblees.com    There is a "contact us" link on the bottom left of most pages if you dont see what you are looking for there. Ive had luck finding hard to find stuff there for clients before.  Good Luck