Brake lines, shocks, radiator hoses

Started by Arberg0, November 29, 2008, 07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arberg0

From: MTRIBLE  (Original Message) Sent: 3/25/2002 11:38 AM

Hi,  I am a proud owner of a 73 Brave on a RM300, the engine is a 318-3 and need to find replacment radiator hoses and the flexable brake lines that go from the frame to the front calipers.  I found the front calipers and pads at a local parts store, but have had no luck with brake lines or the radiator hoses.  I have called my local Dodge dealers and they say that the parts data they have only goes back to 78.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Mark

part #for upper is 2084044. lower has two options. 3640376 for low mtg.? and 1881813 for all other 73 318's.
brake hoses are 3733672 for rf 3733673 for fl 

I had the same problem with front brake hoses for my 1975 M300 Brave. The solution for me was a set of front brake hoses for a 1979 Dodge 1 ton van. I also had to change the bolts that attach the hose to the caliper to the one for the 1979 Dodge 1 ton van due to the slight difference in the thickness of the flange that bolts to the caliper. I was able to remove the hose brackets from the new hoses and then utilize the existing brackets from the old hoses to make it look like the real deal. ( The ones I used were Raybestos)

In my search for the original hoses I probably secured the last original Chrysler p/n 3894754 on this planet....but I could never find the other one 3894755.

Take one of the old hoses off and find a parts store with the 79 Dodge 1 ton (CB300) hoses in stock and match them up. The van hose will be maybe an inch longer and the caliper mounting flange will be slightly thicker.

I hope this helps because I know how difficult my search was! In todays world if it is not in the computer at the parts store forget it. In the days of books, you could look for a close match then check it out.

Good luck!

Thanks Eddie and Chip,  I looked at Wagner brake hose picture book and found 2 lines that would work with a little modification.  Like the lines you used Eddie, I had to cut the old lines from the frame mounting brackets and attach the new lines with stanless hose clamps and then put a very small tack weld with a mig so they wouldnt slide around,  I should have used longer bolts that hold the line to the caliper as the blocks on the new lines were 1/8 inch thicker,  but I still had plenty of thread showing on the backside and was able to get the proper torque on them without pulling any threads. 

While under the truck looking for the master cyl so I can fill it with fluid to bleed the system,  I found it,  and boy was it wet,  so one more trip to the parts store for a new one. 

Total cost for parts and fluid,   approx $118.00
2 calipers rebuilt $13.00 each   $26.00
2 brake hoses $22.00 each $44.00
set of pads $32.00
rebuilt master cyl. $12.00
brake fluid $4.00

I spent more time trying to get the proper hoses than it took to put all the parts on and bleed the brakes.

Chip,  you gave me good numbers for parts,  but they are no longer made and no dealer had any of them, but atlast I could get someone to tell me that the parts were not avail. and to go a different route on finding parts,  so I want to say thanks again for the numbers, it saved me from pulling all my hair out.

For the radiator lines the numbers Chip gave me cross over to a universal hose,  you know the type that  is pleated and has a spring inside it.  Have any of you found a proper molded line tha will work for the upper and lower hose?

So far I have put new carpet down, replaced the particle wood under the seats and couch in the back, cleaned the curtains,  made a new table and put Formica on it.  I still need to replace the relay in the power converter,  you have to wiggle the contacts to get the lights to come on after you unhook from 110 or run generator. Changed the oil on gen. and the 318,  dropped pan on trans.  drained converter and put new filter in,  replaced exhst manifold gaskets and tried to get all signal and running lights fixed.

I hope that the weather will stay warm so I can check is the water and holding systems,  I dont want to fill it up and then have 20 deg. night.

I also need a way to lock the door, and I need a cap for the waste dump and I may need a new valve,  mine is stuck open.

Sorry this was so long and windy.

Mark from windy Kansas.

Glad to hear you were successful.You got a better deal on the calipers than I did. I had to pay a $17. each. The caliper prices for these rigs is a heck of a deal. So cheap it almost makes you afraid of them!

I noticed you said you needed a way to lock your door. I had the same problem as the cylinder in mine was shot.I took the cylinder out to see if I could fix it. One day while strolling thru a Lowes store I saw a cylinder that looked very similar. I believe it was in the patio door hardware section. I bought it, put it in and it worked fine. The cost was a mere $2.98!

Hey Chip or Cousin Eddie,  Can you give me the part numbers for front and rear shocks on this RM300?   This quest for shocks is worse than the brake hose was.

thanks Mark

front shock was 3638631. rear was 3638112 both 1 3/8" piston. i replaced mine with munroe gas shocks. i'll crawl under it tomorrow and get the numbers for you.

I put Monroe Gas Magnum RV shocks on my Brand X coach two weeks ago. Very pleased with them so far. I also added the Firestone Ride-Rite air helper springs to the rear which also made a big change.

Monroe lists the Gas Magnum RV for your coach. I have a catalog that shows part numbers 555011 front and 555012 rear. This however could be the dealers # and of no help to you.

The listing is 73-81 M300 or R300 rather than RM300. Just stay away from any listed with the letter "B" or "MB" because that is the van stuff. 

I am using Bilstines.... I reccomend them highly.
The I have a 74 indian.
When we bought the thing and she wiggled more ways than a fat woman in spandex.
Now she is much smoother ....
The numbers are front B46-1318
Rear B46-1319
76.30 ea.

I bought them on line at www.eshocks.com  Check out under Motorhomes ... I could have bought some a little cheeper but the other sites I found didn't show the part number wich I refrenced off of bilstine's website.

Just ordered the Bisteins listed by Tery from the website link given.  They were a little cheaper right now, $74.75.... $299 total, shipping over $200 free.  The shocks on my '74 Indian are pretty worn, should see a significant difference.  May add the air bags if I can scrounge the cash. - Sob

MISS TANK would not accept anything but the best so she got the Bilstein shock treatment also.  Really helped the ride but I too am considering the air bag option.  I believe Firestone makes some airbags for these classics ??

Dave Beatty

Yes Dave, a member recently installed the Firestone Ride-Rite air springs.  Set at 50 lbs. to stablize body roll, air can be added to help with towing too.  This is something Tshirtman could have used when he had the custom motorcycle carrier made for his Kawasaki Vulcan.  The added weight really caused the back end of his 27' drop (see Circle M Jamboree photo album).

"Air-Lift" sets are also available for about $180 a pair plus the compressor, gauge and control set of $199 brings it just under $400. 

Through JC Whitney, the "Air-lift" set with 2,500 lb levelling capacity and compressor totals about $300.  $200 with standard manual inflation kit.  The 5,000 lb kit runs $250 for the air springs alone.

The Firstone set runs $250 for the springs, 2,500 lb capacity.

I'll likely go for the "Air-Lift" set myself.  Camping World also sells both and they are available through numerous sources so, a better price on either is likely to be found. 

- Sob

Just ordered Air-Lift air springs (# AIR-57214) from Summit Racing.  $206.  Free shipping, fast delivery.  Read 3 excellent reviews in Camping World on them.  Testimonies say they really improve stability, especially when being passed by Large trucks at high speed and in cross-winds.  I'm not busting for the compressor and regulator though, my air compressor will do for me.

Truck Springs. com also lists a # 57106 for the front of 70's -80's Dodge class A motorhomes but, I'm not sure if they are really needed.  We'll see if just the rear set does the trick (add-in the Bilstein shocks and I ought to have a very stable ride).  Also, this supplier is $25 more for the same item. - Sob

Installed the Bilsteins and rear Air-Lift air springs today.  Camping this weekend.  Road test follows. - Sob

If it's true that our species is alone in the universe, then I'd have to say that the universe aimed rather low and settled for very little.
George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." --Thomas Jefferson