Refrigerator doesn't work - ammonia smell

Started by Rick Shaw, October 13, 2015, 07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Shaw

A few days ago, I noticed that the fridge was not working, ice melted in the freezer.  The indicator light was on but it did not revert to propane when fridge stopped.   Light inside came on when opening the door.  I pressed the propane button and the pilot came on and I could hear it working but, it shut down.  I was sitting outside a store waiting for my wife and all of a sudden I smelled ammonia and it kept getting stronger.   I opened windows and ceiling vents and started the attic fan to get air into the coach because it was starting to take my breath away.   Any thoughts?

Rick Shaw

Also forgot to say that the indicator light and the interior lights do not work now.

rustyzman

Chances are if you smelled ammonia, the fridge is done.  That would be a leak.  Why the electric gave out too, I can't say.  Pull the back lower vent and take a quick peek at everything back there just to see if you have some melted wiring, or if you had a fridge fire.

If it is a Norcold, check and see if it qualifies for a recall.  I did a post about that about a month ago and they were fantastic to deal with. 
No matter what, until you know what happened, shut the power and propane off to it in case you have a hazardous issue brewing. 

ClydesdaleKevin

Replacement cooling units...basically the coils in the back and all that, are available rebuilt for WAY cheaper than buying a new fridge.  Not all that hard to install either.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Rickf1985

Quote from: Rick Shaw on October 13, 2015, 07:15 PM
A few days ago, I noticed that the fridge was not working, ice melted in the freezer.  The indicator light was on but it did not revert to propane when fridge stopped.   Light inside came on when opening the door.  I pressed the propane button and the pilot came on and I could hear it working but, it shut down.  I was sitting outside a store waiting for my wife and all of a sudden I smelled ammonia and it kept getting stronger.   I opened windows and ceiling vents and started the attic fan to get air into the coach because it was starting to take my breath away.   Any thoughts?

One main thought is don't go in there without a respirator, Ammonia is very poisonous and can kill quickly or at best destroy your lungs if you are lucky. Even with a respirator be sure your skin is dry, ammonia on damp skin is very bad! I know I sound like doom and gloom but do a little research on ammonia gas if you think I am being too cautious.

ClydesdaleKevin

As long as you air out the rig, there isn't much ammonia in the coils, and its diluted with water.  It won't be at dangerous levels if the windows are open and the roof fan is on.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.