Front/Rear Air Bag Discrepancy '72 D22

Started by MSN Member, November 09, 2008, 09:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSN Member

Sent: 4/16/2007 7:45 PM

Why does the part description for the Ride Rite rear air spring for the M400 chassis (part 1156 at towshop.com) read it only works with years '73 - 82? The part description for the front air spring (part 1170) reads it will work with years '68-82. I have a '72. I really need to install the rears before the fronts.

denisondc

Sent: 4/17/2007 5:49 AM

Knowing nothing about air-bag suspension stuff, my first guess is that something interferes. The rear brakes are different on the M400s beginning in 73, when they got disc brakes on the front axle in place of the former drum brakes. In 71-72 for instance, the M400s had brake backing plates with 2 wheel cylinders on each of them; a wheel cylinder at the top, and one at the bottom. These each had a brake line running to them from a Tee fitting atop the axle housing. The later chassis (with disc brakes up front) had a single wheel cylinder on each rear brake backing plate, and a single brake line to it.
My second guess: prior to sometime in 1972, what I think of as the M400 chassis was listed as the M375 chassis in the manuals. This could be a point of confusion for whoever is writing the 'works with' info.

MSN Member

Sent: 4/17/2007 5:56 AM

I put them in my "72" M300 with no issues. Even with 3" of lift it was one of the easiest installs of done. All kinds of room on the axle tube and frame to mount on. Maybe you"ll have some issues if you still run a single exhaust but, I'm sure it can be solved.

Cooneytoones

Sent: 4/18/2007 6:07 PM

MJSIN,

Go to the CampingWorld Web site....Here's the link:

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdoor-and-RV-Accessories/Tow-Center-Of-America/Shocks--Stabilizers/Air-Springs--Accessories/Air-Lift-Air-Springs/skunum=7826D

Click Configure... then,
Type in you make, model, and year.....These were the best prices (for the best product) I found when looking for the air bags system....if you become a member of the President's Club you get more money off the price....Several members have this system installed. And rave about it. I have a set not installed yet....but from what I've heard they are worth it.

Denison hit the nail on the head...it has to do with the change in brake systems at that time, I guess Dodge was looing for a better way to stop these big beasts and re-engineered the brake system....Campingworld will have the right bags with all the installion fittings needed for application to your rig....

Good Luck, hope this helps,
Timmy

Elandan2

Sent: 4/19/2007 8:34 PM

Another source to try is Michigan Truck Spring.

www.truckspring.com

I found their prices the best and I had my air springs in a week and that included crossing the border.   Rick
Rick and Tracy Ellerbeck

MSN Member

Sent: 4/22/2007 12:55 PM

I have installed both the front and rears on my 1972 D22.  The fronts fit perfectly, the rears have two issues.  One is that the t fitting on the brake lines interfere.  I relocated my t fitting closer to the diff by fabricating a plate which I bolted through the fitting.  I clamped the plate to the axle with stainless hose clamps.  I was replacing the brake lines anyway so it was not a big job.  The exhaust pipe also comes close to the air bag.  I moved the rear tail pipe mount a couple of inches inboard.  I also use both heat sheilds on the right side.