Battery connections, dash switch turns off generator but won't start it

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 03, 2008, 11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Handier_Man1

Sent: 2/20/2004 1:50 AM

Just to let anyone know .I just fixed the power prob on my 1972 D-22.I just hooked the power box back up and waaalaaa power.I have a couple of ??? I found that when I pulled the battery box out that the batterys look to be connected to the solenoid on the positive side. But the ground from one battery is wired to the other than grounded to the frame.Is this normal??

Heres some info: 22 foot,1972 winne,.onan 4kw gen., 413ci.,I believe this rig is a cheiftain not sure as it has been remodeled at least once.

I love this winnie but i am new to motorhomes(Ihave had a few travel trailers) Ill post some pics soon.
before hand I want to thank everyone for your help. !!!!!!! YOU ALL ARE THE GREATEST!!!!!

Sent: 2/20/2004 5:57 AM

How the batteries are grounded to the frame isnt as important as both of them having good connections to ground. Both positive cables would run to the solenoid, then one of them would run to the starter relay on the inside of the frame rail near the starter. The other one would likely be a smaller wire than #6, and would run to the inverter I think.
The dashboard button wouldn't operate my genset either until I fixed it - there were loose connections on the switch, and inside the control box on the genset itself. Hardly suprising after so many years.

Sent: 2/21/2004 5:10 AM

There are two normals.

Sounds like you have normal wiring for 6 volt batteries.
6 volt batteries have three caps along the top - 12 volt batteries have 6 caps along the top.

Sent: 2/21/2004 9:59 AM

The 12 V battery ground cables are also tied together on my 76 - Like Dave said it doesn't mater how the current gets to the frame but they must have clean contact .  - Sea Hag