Need source for replacement Fuel tank on '78 Itasca

Started by 78BraveGuy, November 17, 2017, 11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

78BraveGuy

I recently purchased a very nice '78 Itasca 25RB with 26,000 original miles on it.  I am pretty excited about it since it is in very good condition.  One thing that I did notice is that the front (main) fuel tank is leaking.  This motorhome is on a Chevy P30 chassis and the tanks look like they are probably GM tanks.  Does anyone know if GM still sells replacement gas tanks?  Or is there an aftermarket company that does?

Froggy1936

Just google it there are a lot of suppliers incl JC Whitney !  Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

78BraveGuy

I checked JC Whitney and no luck.  Googling it I was able to find a 16 gallon tank for a 1978 P30, but nothing bigger than that.  The tank that is leaking is 50 gallons.  It sure appears to be just a big version of the tanks like the Chevy pickups had back in the 70s and 80s to me.  Not sure if it would be worth seeing if a welding shop could repair it since it looks kind of like it is galvanized steel?  i??

Warren

Most tanks can be repaired.    Radiator shops were the go to for this type of work.    Today, who knows.    Just don't try welding on it yourself.   

For a new tank - I've used Tanks Inc. Tanks Inc.
http://www.tanksinc.com/

Might be worth trying until you getthe time to do a R&R on it.   
This is an external leak preventer:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Exo-Coat-Exterior-Fuel-Tank-Sealant-1-Pint,73780.html

Oz

Might give an RV salvage yard a try, such as Arizona RV Salvage.
Hm?

List of RV salvage yards by State;
http://www.rverscorner.com/RV_Salvage_by_state.html
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Rickf1985

50 gallon tank is not going to be a factory tank, It was made to fit when the unit was built. It is probably pretty much square isn't it? Or squared of sides type of tank.

78BraveGuy

My 78 Brave had one of those square, non-factory tanks like you are talking about between the frame rails at the rear of the RV.  This Itasca is different.  It has two tanks on the curb side that are outside the frame rails.  The front tank is 50 gallons and the rear tank is 27 gallons.  They both look like rounded, two piece, stamped tanks like you would see on a Chevy pickup from that era.  If I get a chance later, I will try to take pictures. 

RickNC

turbinebronze

I used a Moeller fuel tank from a boat! Plastic, and I found a size that was within one inch of the original tank (measuring the top). I installed an aftermarket sending unit that works with the Dodge gauge.
  Just a thought, Craig

78BraveGuy

I finally got around to dropping that leaking tank the other day.  I was pleased to find out that it appears to just be a leaking gasket around the sending unit!  The tank itself looks in very good shape.  I think I will replace the fuel line hoses as well at this time.

Rickf1985

Always a good day when you find a pleasant surprise instead of a nasty one! Yes, now is the time to replace anything made of rubber down there while you can get to it. Look closely at the fill tube and vent tube also.