Painting coach side stripes

Started by Elandan2, December 08, 2008, 12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogteri1

Sent: 5/1/2005 12:48 PM

We would appreciate any advice we could get on painting just the stripe on the Minnie Winnie. If someone could give us step by step, best paint, whether we need to sand, prime etc. We paid to have the cab painted, but would like to do the stripe ourselves. Thanks,
Dave and Teri

Oz

Sent: 5/1/2005 3:33 PM

If the stripe is oxydized but not flaking off, you can wet/dry sand it with 800 grit, tape it off and spray it with Duplicolor or other exterior or automotve paint.  I used Duplicolor automotive.

If it's flaking off, it's oxydized to the point that it's not adhering to the aluminum any more.  Such was the case with one of the sides of the "Chariot" (see my photo album).  You will want to strip it all the way to the aluminum with a paint stripping  wheel on a drill.  Use "self-etching" primer, which is specifically for aluminum applications, and then spray with Duplicolor (or paint of your choice).

You can use that blue painting tape for your edgeds but, I just used regular masking tape since it was cheaper and it worked fine.

Use several thin coats, wet sanding with 1,000 grit between coats ensuring it's completely dry before starting the next coat.  3 or 4 coats should be good.

Finish with 3 or 4 coats of clear Duplicolor.  Wet sand with 2,000 grit after each coat and you wil have a stipe that looks shinier than a new car and will last for many, many years.

I trimmed the edges of the stripes with black, automotive pinstriping tape for an added touch of pinache.

- Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

Frogteri1

Sent: 5/2/2005 9:46 AM

Well, that sounds like something we can tackle. I don't think it seems to be peeling. When we first bought it I waxed it good with the green wax, so it really looked much better, but think it really should be painted. So sounds like we can manage that.
Thanks so much for your help. I knew we could count on you.
The Dahls

Sea Hag

Sent: 5/8/2005 9:57 AM

You also might try a Winnebago dealer . I beleve some of the stripes were decals . My 76 Chief  has a newer Vinal decal form a PO . ( not a clue where it was purchased ) It's the correct size and color as  OEM . runs down the entier side ( Both sides ) it includes the fying W and the word Chieftain at the rear . They are out there somewhere .         Sea Hag