Holding tank installed, replumbed!

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 12, 2008, 10:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 5/7/2005 8:00 PM

It was a bear of a job, but the repaired tank is IN PLACE!  I had to drill new holes in the floor for my new carrier straps, which was NOT an easy job...thankfully my showerpan is out, because the two aft holes came up under the shower floor!  I countersunk them, used huge fender washers, and used every pair of vice grips I own to keep the new galvanized bolts from spinning on me!

The wifey had the illustrious task of making sure that the sewer vent line (the pipe that goes to one of the roof vents) was lining up, and it was her task to lay on the glue once the pipe was 1/2 inch from being seated.

My task was to keep tightening the four holding bolts evenly from under the Ark.

Once she was all up in place and snug, it was time to reglue the outlet line, shower drain plumbing, and put in the new drain valve.

I laid a bead of silicone around the outside of both sides of the valve, just for insurance that those thin O-rings that they come with won't leak.

Once that was all snugged down, I tackled the task of sanding down the shower pan (which I had reglassed a week ago).  Ummmm...DAMN this stuff itches!  I knew that fiberglass insulation can give you a rash, but I had no idea the glass dust could do the same thing!  I wonder if I should have worn a dust mask, now that my arms are all broken out with a rash from shoulders to wrists...lol.  At least a hot shower took the itching away.

Gotta paint the pan tomorrow!  I'll let you all know how good this Pettit Marine Easypoxy paint is...supposed to be the best.

Kev and Patti Smith.
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 5/11/2005 2:12 PM

A bit late to say something but just curious. You did only insert the vent pipe into the tank only an inch or so right?  If it is in to far and gets submerged, it cannot vent off the gas.

Dave
[move][/move]

Slantsixness

Sent: 5/11/2005 3:13 PM

eeww... Good thought, Dave!

Tom
Remembering My 72 D20RG Brave "Smurfbago" The old girl never let me down, and she's still on the road today. quick! get out the Camera... I spotted another junkyard full of Winnies...

ClydesdaleKevin

Sent: 5/11/2005 3:58 PM

I thought about that, but it was a no-brainer anyways.  An 8" section of my vent pipe screws into the tank, and only goes in about a half an inch.  It then slips into the pipe that goes to the roof.

Kev and Patti Smith
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

DaveVA78Chieftain

Sent: 5/11/2005 4:37 PM

Good to hear.  I have read in other places where they didn't do it correctly so, just wanted to check.

Dave
[move][/move]