I smell sewer gas

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 12, 2008, 09:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plainobob1

Sent: 6/15/2005 6:10 PM

when going down the road i get this bad sewer gas smell from holding tank . Am I missing a seal that might be bad at the potty or is this comon thing to happen . 

plain o bob with cloths pin on nose

denisondc

Sent: 6/15/2005 9:04 PM

Its not normal, but its not very rare either.
If we drive with only the front windows open, we get the toilet smell for less than a minute after someone has used the pot. If you have it longer than that, then some seal or joint has probably opened up. Is there a vent stack whose joint to the holding tank has come apart from vibration? The same could be true for the toiler to holding tank seal.
If you drive with the rear windows open, enough air blows in those rear windows to put the interior at a slight positive pressure. This normally forestalls smells coming up from openings in the floor, holding tanks, etc. Driving with only the front windows open (like the one beside the driver) results in a slight vacuum on the inside, and will pull in aromas from below the floor. Its ine way to check for exhaust leaks, fuel leaks, etc.

Plainobob1

Sent: 6/15/2005 9:51 PM

just had front window open .hummmmmmm- I had back roof apart , maybe vent stack came loose at bottom . I m also going to check where the little thing that goes back and forth to release body waist into tank , maybe somone didnt keep their foot down long enough to let paper to go down and some got pushed into that little rim around there ---it wont hold water for to long .

drummerboy

Sent: 6/15/2005 10:21 PM

We were having the same problem.  Not down the road, but usually about 2 in the morning.  This spring I saturated the seal in the potty with Armorall tire foam.  The stuff you spray on and leave.  I did this over a 2 week period.  It really helped the seal.  It even holds water now.  I also switched to the orange citrus holding tank stuff.  We had 4 'smell-free' days dry camping over Memorial Day.   

OldEdBrady

Sent: 6/15/2005 10:27 PM

Sewer gas?  No.  Leaking? Yes.  Two days ago I replaced the seal on the toilet in the Whiny Beggar.  Made all the difference in the world.  Bought a new seal at Home Depot for slightly over 4 bucks, and a 10 year guarantee.

But, then, we've never used the black water tank other than when it's attached to a dump in a campground.  But, I'm totally convinced that, with the leaking we had (and the sad condition of everything under the toilet), we would have had the problem of, at the very least, bad odors.

The only problem is, you have to be about 95% contortionist to get the blasted thing out to put in the new seal!

Plainobob1

Sent: 6/16/2005 6:13 PM

the po tiold me he had same thing happen and he went out and got a cheap screwdriver (long ) straight end ,bent it over at end  and pounded it flat . then he steped down on the pedal and ran it around the crack the flap goes into .he says that if you dont hold it down after useing it long enough paper gets jamed into it from the shutter . so im going to try that frist , and will let yall know if the bowl holds water then  . i still want to check the vent stack at the tank . but cant do anything untill its back from tans shop.                 bob

drummerboy   i never had a problem when setting still -will unless i was useing it and then oh man talk about gas !!!!!!!!!!!!!   lol ,but but this year WE HAVE A NEW FAN            Bob