Run 12 volt lights in coach without aux battery connected?

Started by fud2468, August 14, 2014, 02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fud2468

Hi,
A couple of things:
I recently posted about my '87 Chieftain that's sat unused for 19 years, but now can't find my post.So-- I am having some difficulty navigating the site.
I first want to know how to join, since the site has already helped a lot. Can someone tell me the price to join, and where to send a check? I don't do anything financial on the 'net.
Secondly, I got wiring, converter and other info on this site for an '89, thinking that would apply to my rig. The info was good as far as it went, but here's my problem.
I want to plug in to 110 to see if the 12 volt interior lighting works.
The cables in the battery compartment appear to be side terminal, and I don't have a spare side terminal battery right now. I will get one if necessary to try the system, but in the meantime can the 12 volt system be activated without a battery hooked up?
Please pardon my ignorance, I forgot a lot in all those years!
Thank you,
36rascal.

legomybago

You do not need working batteries for twelve volt lighting as long as your AC/DC converter is plugged into 110v. (and working of coarse) W% Your convertor will/should have 12v circuits coming out of it with fuses or something going to your lights, water pump, heater etc... ???
Never get crap happy with a slap happy pappy

xerofall

I was not able to get my coach lights working without the AUX battery. Even when plugged into the shore power. That made me think my converter was bad. But that wasn't the case.

Once I replaced the bad aux battery (the one not powering the engine) the motorhome lit up all wondrous and beautiful!

Oz

1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

fud2468