Water Heater Bypass

Started by The_Handier_Man1, December 13, 2008, 11:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spudboy

Sent: 9/4/2003 10:46 AM

OK, so I was a dumb*ss, and didn't drain the water heater on my 72 D22 Indian when I brought it up from AZ to ID last December.  When I went to fill my water tank on first trip, I created a very lovely shower in the MH due to leaks at water heater tank.  I am going to go for a week trip and would really like to have water.  I am out of remodeling capital,  so I need a quick fix.  Seems as though someone mentioned a bypass of the water heater...what do I have to do?

Spudboy, the lame 

denisondc

Sent: 9/4/2003 3:16 PM

My rusted out. It had two connections - the cold water supply, which was a T fitting in the cold water line, since it went beyond the water heater to the sink faucet. And it had the hot water out-feed - which also was a T fitting, since the kitchen and the shower were in opposite directions. I removed both T fittings and got straight couplings in the same size and type. Mine were a single flare tubing fitting, and I got the two coupling at a hardware store. I replaced the each of the T fittings with one of the straight couplings. This left the water heater totally isolated from the water supply. When I turn on the hot water handle nothing comes out, but with that straight through fitting keeping the pipes connected, none of the cold water will run out onto the floor by the hot water heater either. Dont throw the old fittings away, need them for when I get a new water heater. denison 

jbrt1989

Sent: 9/4/2003 4:37 PM

spudboy,

You can go to any RV supply store and get an actual bypass for your water heater.I think even Wal-Mart will carry them from time to time.   

It's basicallly a short pipe that fits between your cold water inlet on the bottom of the waterheater and the hot water outlet at the top.  The bypass has two valves on it that you can close and will basically "bypass" the waterheater, meaning you would have cold water coming from both sides of  your faucets. 

The main purpose of this is to bypass your water heater for winterization saving you the extra RV antifreeze to fill your waterheater. Also saving  time when you run air through your plumbing for winterization and losing so much ground with your waterheater in the process.   I guess the thought is that you should be able to get your water heater drained well enough to not freeze and break anything. 

They're kinda expensive for what they are and do, probably around $20, 

Denison's idea is probably the quicker, less expensive fix though unless you just wanted the bypass for later winterization.  Since I live in Florida, no real need here, a few jugs of RV antifreeze run through the pipes and drain traps does the trick here. 

Jeff