Pressurized vs pump water system?

Started by Elandan2, December 08, 2008, 12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bboat101

Sent: 4/19/2004 12:10 AM

I would like to get everyones opinion of the original air compressor for the water system versus a replacement water pump (shurflo, etc.)

What's better and why?

Brian

Sea Hag

Sent: 4/19/2004 10:59 AM

My 76 originally had a compressor from what I can tell as it has the Galvinized storage tanks . It was coverted to a shurflo on demand pump by a PO . it works well that way and I don't have to run the pump as you would with a  compressor while filling tanks as suggested in manual . haven't tried t run water while hooked up to water service but probably have to run pump anyway with the way it's hooked up . doesn't look like a hard conversion and shurflo Pump parts are readily availible for repair , not sure about old compressor pumps parts . some of the other members here are still using the compressors -- Sea Hag . 

Daved27c

Sent: 4/19/2004 1:15 PM

Brian;

I am still using the compressor on mine. It works for the most part. I have a small air leak, and it runs more than it should. There are a few things that you need to look at. First does the current system work. If it does I always go by the theory that if it ain't broke don't fix it. Next question would be how often are you going to need it.

We almost always camp at sites with water hook ups. Next would be parts. If you do alot of boondocking and the compressor breaks, can you find a replacement(probably not). Last is the conversion. If you can do the plumbing great, if not do you have to pay a plumber to do it. I know that I'm giving you a solid answer, I'm just throwing some ideas out.

Dave

denisondc

Sent: 4/19/2004 4:52 PM

And it would be nice to know if the metal water tank was original - which would indicate to me that most of its useful life was probably over. Or is it a recent replacement and wont spring a leak in the next year or three. My 72 has the system with a demand pump. So the tank is a big rectangular plastic box, and we can see the water level in it. Pumps like we have are sold at any campingworld or similar outlet. Very common. The tank - probably a different story. 

Oz

Sent: 4/19/2004 8:44 PM

My Indian has a replacement on-demand pump that works excellent.  If you ever get a leak, it's easy to tell because the motor will run just a little when the water isn't running anywhere else from a faucet or fixture.  The holding tank is a single replacement for the original galvanized, same capacity but only takes up half the space. - Sob
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

LJ-TJ

Sent: 11/14/2007 11:54 AM

Quick question..... I'm toying with pulling my pressurized water system so I can get more storage space and going with a sure-flo plastic water tank system. How often do you guys use your pressurized system or what's the advantage to keeping it. Thanks

Clyde9

Sent: 11/14/2007 12:47 PM

I use mine all the time, it is nice to have when i am traveling and want to stop at a wallyworld or state/national park that does not have fresh watter. You may want to consider that before you modify.

denisondc

Sent: 11/14/2007 4:55 PM

My first Winnie has the water system with a rectangular plastic non-pressurized tank (about 30 gallons); and a 12 volt water pump w pressure operated switch to keep water supplied to the faucets. The only disadvantage I know of to this system is the small whirring noise when you turn on a faucet. My 2nd Winnie has the pressurized steel tanks under the back bed, with an air pump to keep the pressure up. Even if I knew the steel tanks were good I would change that system to use the non-pressured plastic tank and a water pump. I dont mind the whirring of the little water pump.
Both systems allow a supply hose to be connected, for supplying water in a campground. 

Clyde9

Sent: 11/14/2007 6:38 PM

Mine is also a non pressurized plastic tank with a pump that maintains pressure in the water line. I have never seen the pressurized steel tank type. I learn something new every day!!

Cooneytoones

Sent: 11/14/2007 11:35 PM

TJ
Mine had a pressurized system at one time....the only advantage to a presurized system is the pump only goes on when the low pressure is reached, turns off once high pressure is reached...water will flow at the same pressure (or flow rate,,,,,,,the non pressure system like a sure flow (which is what I have now) pump goes on as soon as you turn on the water, or flush, then the pump turns off when you shut off the water. If you have a noisey pump then it is a little distracting when everyones is asleep......most newer pumps are quiet and you can make them quieter with little rubber feet and carpeting...You can hardly hear mine and it's under the bed. Look at the GPM (Gallons Per Minuter in Canada LPM) That will determine the flow rate....pressure is pre-set on all of them.

Timmy

LJ-TJ

Sent: 11/15/2007 11:31 PM

Bingo..... Thanks guys Dave it looks like a sure-flo system. By the time you read this I will have removed the two tanks. The thing that blows me away is the tanks are like brand new. Looks like an E-bay project.  Thanks again guys Sob thanks for a great site!

salplmb

Sent: 11/16/2007 9:14 AM

hi guys,
i still have my preasure system working. i think the big difference in systems is that with the compressor you will get flucuations in water presure where the pumps provide constant flow. i like the fact that i can just turn off the pump and have preasure for a long time. no power needed. i'm sure there is a draw for the sensor on the pumps. if i change anything i think i will go with a more powerful compressor(faster air fill) and see if i can get onboard air for some tools and use with the air bags, tire filling, inflatables, etc...
sal

Lefty

Sent: 11/16/2007 10:43 PM

Ours (D27MI) originally had a air pressurized system. A prior owner partially upgraded it by installing a Shurflo demand style pump inline. It still used the original steel water tank under the kitchen cabinets. The original air pump was also left intact, but it doesn't work.
I reserve the right to reject your reality and substitute my own...