Leak under the shower floor

Started by ashpd_136, September 02, 2009, 08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashpd_136

Just got my 73 Brave. It has a water leak that seems to be coming from somewhere under the shower base. The leak can also be seen dripping off of the black water tank outside. Nothing is visible without disassembly, any suggestions on where to start ?

tiinytina

Sounds like your rig was not winterized and the U-joint under the shower froze and cracked... I would start there... For the tank, I dont' know if its covered in spray insulation as ours is or not. Once you find the crack you can use a plastic welder or the one-minute epoxy on it... we used that successfully on ours. We then recoated all with the spray foam insulation...

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

ashpd_136

Tina,
   Thanks for the info. I was told when I bought it from an RV Service Center that they believed as well that it was not winterized properly. I'm hoping that the water running off the black water tank is coming from the same leak under the shower. The shower is directly above the black water tank. And no the tank is not insulated.  This shower is not a one peice unit. Does anyone know if I pull the shower floor pan up if that gives me access to the plumbing or if it is between the floor and top of the black water tank. Im clueless as you can tell !

Darcy

JDxeper

I had water coming from shower drain where it came through the floor under neath and dripping around holding tanks.  Also had wet floor inside. The source of the water was not the drain but a broken connector on the back of the shower faucets.
Pulled the stove to get behind the shower.  Was a fairly simple fix.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ashpd_136

JDxper,
    Checked a little further today. My 73 has a corner sink in the shower stall. It also serves as the faucets for the shower. No problems found at the faucet but thanks for the advice. After looking at the water lines and the path that they take when they disappear into the shower area it appears that the only one that it could be is the supply line for the toilet. It runs under the shower floor and up out of the back corner of the shower and up to the toilet.
Next question: How in the heck do you get the toilet off the floor? I cant get it disassembled in anyway to find how its fastened to the floor.

Thanks,
Darcy

JDxeper

My toilet is connected to the sewer drain just like the one in my house.  two bolts hold it to the sewer connection..  the bolt tops had caps that were just stuck on with plumbers putty.
The front flange nut maybe under the flush pedal.  the rear flange nut may be behind an access panel on the back of the stool.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

ashpd_136

:)ThmbUp Today was a good day for the shower issue ! After careful examination and useful information from you guys, I tore into the leak under the shower floor. As it turns out the supply line to the toilet runs from under the sink into the bathroom behind the lower edge of the shower bottom and then up to the toilet. This copper line had a 1/2 inch split in it just after it went into the shower area where it was sandwiched between the shower bottom and the outside wall. After this three foot piece of copper line is relaced I'll be in business, hopefully ! :)clap Oh, while I had the toilet off the floor I took a look at its issues. I had been told by the previous owner it needed replaced. I was able to make a repair there also ! Hopefully it lasts  Hm?