How to cut Eternabond tape wide rolls and save money!

Started by MSN Member, November 21, 2009, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wasserhaus1

Sent: 6/5/2005

When they sent mine, they sent 4 instead of 2" (Double sided) and they said that I could keep it and not pay the difference - regret that I did need the 2".

How do you cut the whole roll?  I need to cut down a 4" roll of one sided Eternabond.

mightybooboo

Sent: 6/5/2005 

I too want to know how to cut the eternabond.  May start the repair tomorrow or tuesday if the Calico campground isn't hosting some sort of jam thing.

BooBoo

mazama

Sent: 6/6/2005

To cut the 6" Eternabond down to two 3" rolls I simply rolled it out on the floor and cut down the middle with scissors. It only takes a few minutes. Watch for aluminum slivers when you re-roll it.

Oz

If you are using the thick tape which has no aluminum backing - used for sealing  vents, body trim... things which need to be sealed between 2 surfaces, (Not the Ebond with the silver on one side) it's virtually impossible to cut with scissors.  The stuff just sticks like super glue to the blades.

The way I cut it was to roll it out and use a sharp box cutter.  I put oil on the blade and applied more oil after cutting a few inches.

For the reflective ebond with the aluminum strip on one side, I did the same as mazama did but, I also put some WD40 on the blades too.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca