Do I need a shore power plug adapter?

Started by MSN Member, December 10, 2009, 12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ksnarf

Sent: 3/15/2004

So, we got to our new campground tonight. I went to hookup and it has a strange hookup. it "looks" like a 220v connector that are used for dryer's. i asked the manager and he told me that it was a 110v connector and all i need is an adapter that i can buy "anywhere"

Well, i checked 3 rv stores, walmart, target, home depot and all i got was "never heard of it"

if this helps. on the standard 30amp connector, instead of one of the prongs being round, it looks like an L. (doesn't help, does it )

DaveVA78Chieftain

Look at http://www.dasplace.net/RVWiring/wiring.html and see if you can determine what you have.  The 30 amp trailer connector is commonly available but is unique to travel trailers.  Almost sounds like they have a 3 wire 30 amp dryer receptacle, not a travel trailer receptacle.  If it's 4 wire, it's 220V 50 amp service.

Dave
[move][/move]

denisondc

Have a snapshot? Maybe with a ruler in the bottom of the picture?
If its a new thing, why wouldn't the campground mgmnt have a few in stock?
I don't want to have to carry different adapters around; but maybe the NEC finally got around to 'upgrading' the RV community.
I think I will take pictures of the outlets at any campground we stay in this summer.     I might even call up the places we usually stay, to ask about the 30 amp outlets.

Ksnarf

well, i went back to Home Depot and talked to someone else. it IS a 220v dryer connector, however the power running to the plug is 110v and it is a connector that is used by some travel trailer's.

now i need to find a connector for this. We are currently running on Batteries and we can't run the a/c or any of the fans. The cats are starting to get a little annoyed :)

kris

DaveVA78Chieftain

Kris,
You will most likely have to make up a stub cable with the correct connectors on each end.   The RV standard 30 amp plug is the one shown in that web site I referenced above.  It can be difficult to find at places like lowes/HQ.  Typically, you have to go to an RV dealer.  Sadly, you will most likely only use the stub cable you build at that one campsite.  I wouldn't cut off the end of your normal one an attach a new end because you will just end up going back to the original for 99% of the other sites.  Least wise, thats my understanding of this.

Dave
[move][/move]

Ksnarf

Dave:
Yes, we have the standard 30amp connector, and we "assumed" that we would have hook-ups wherever we went. we have a 15amp connector which we had been using, but we couldn't run the A/c, it was one of the reasons we moved to this new park.  I went to two rv stores. they were unable to locate any adapter like what i need. The owner told me this morning that he will call out the electrician and get a standard 30amp connector installed. i just need to pay for the plug ($5) so hopefully it has been solved. i just wonder how long it is going to take to get it fixed

thanks for all the help everyone, i don't know what i would do without everyone here to answer my silly questions.

kris

DaveVA78Chieftain

Hmm, I don't feel this was a silly question.  The owner is getting the correct plug installed.  Actually, it seems like a shabby way to run a park.  115VAC service for RV's has been standard for years.

Dave
[move][/move]

DaveVA78Chieftain

Forgot to mention that even Walmart carries 15 and 30 amp standard cables as well as 15/30 amp adapters.  Only hazy area is adapting 50 amp service over to 30 amp.  Actually, even that is not that tough.  RV's designed for 220VAC 50 amp service work like a house and distribute the load across the two 115VAC input legs.  Allows them to use 2 air conditioners.

Dave
[move][/move]

Ksnarf

well i have a 15/30 adapter that just plugs into a standard "wall" plug. I would prefer to have one of those because then we could at least run the fans

kris

DaveVA78Chieftain

Being new at this myself, I know what you mean.  Just got my rig running last November.  I use the adapter at home.  Also used it at my daughters parents house.  The one campsite I have been to had both 15 and 30 amp receptacles in the box.  Not sure at this point if other sites are set up that well.  Hope it all works out well for you.

Dave
[move][/move]

Ksnarf

i think it will
The Owner called the city to inquire about it. the City told him that his connectors are non-standard and he either needs to change them or they will change them for him at his expensive......
so, the Manager is over at my rig now putting in the new connector. it looks like i will have power tonight... YAY!!!!

kris

DaveVA78Chieftain

ROFL - Good job Kris.  Glad you stuck to your guns.  One for the CWVRV A team!   
[move][/move]

Ksnarf

Sent: 3/16/2004

well, the power outlet was changed and my rig was even plugged in when i got home. I had turned on the A/C when i parked on Sunday so the A/C was going and it was nice and cool.

thanks for all the help everyone.

kris