Coach/Shore Power System Operation Questions

Started by Lizardking, December 14, 2009, 11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lizardking

2nd post, I dont have any idea how things work in an RV.

I have a 30 amp 125v plug.  I also have an adapter to plug the 30 amp cord into a regular 3 prong household outlet.

There is also a 30 amp female receptical in the box where the power cable is.  Whats that for?

If I plug the cord into the house useing the 3 prong adapter will I have lights in the RV and will it charge the coach batteries?

How do I get lights in the RV useing the coach batteries.  Right now nothing inside the RV has power.  Is there a junction box or a switch to go from coach batteries / generator / shore power?

I know this is probrobly simple but behind every door is a wad of wires and a bunch of switches.  I dont want to fry anything including myself.  Electricty tends not to give second chances.

Oz

If you plug your shore power cord into your house electrical system using the 3 plug adapter, all your coach lighting and all other accessories should work (electric fridge, any plugged in tvs, microwave, etc... including your roof air conditioner).  Of course, your house circuit will need to be 30 amp as well.  If it's only 20 amp and you try to run your roof air or several other accessories at the same time, you may very well trip your house circuit breaker.

This should also charge your coach batteries, if your converter is equipped to do so.

Your coach electric system should work when not plugged into shore power without having to do anything at all.  The electrical system is set-up that way.  If it's not happening and your coach batteries have a good charge, then something in the system is awry.

Not having coach power is a topic already covered.  Use the Message Search.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

tiinytina

just to keep it simple... there should be a switch somewhere in the RV that is Batt On/Off...  if this is off (we always turn ours off so the batteries don't drain on their own when the RV is parked) no power will be avail. If "On" and no power either your batteries are dead or the ground or positive connections are not tight and or corroded.

Use the search feature, all threads are saved just find one that relates to this then post a reply to reactivate it on the forums if you can't find the answer....

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JDxeper

The outlet box in where the power cord  is stored is the outlet from the generator(at least on mine) plug the cord into this one when the genset is running, for a power source.
Everything then works from gen as Sob described below, same a your house power source.
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)