Size for plumbing lines

Started by newellkev, January 18, 2010, 04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newellkev

I did a search and really couldn't find an answer so here goes. Due to my own stupidity the first year I got Rolling Home the water lines froze. D:oH! So, now I am going to replace them. The lines I have now are what looks like 1/4" copper. I am going to go with PEX. What I would like to know is 1/4" the right size to go with or would 3/8" be better.  i?? Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks to All in advance !!
The only way out.......Is through !!!!!!!

Froggy1936

Hi.  My rig has all the original plastic line and they are 3/8 the supply at the faucets is good. I think 1/4 would be to small.    Frank
"The Journey is the REWARD !"
Member of 15 years. We will always remember you, Frank.

tiinytina

I think all of Gone's lines are 5/8" but she is done all in butyl. I'd like to go with Pex or drinking grade pvc if I had to redo them.... I will be redoing most of the lines around the water heater and I will probably go with pex at this point for that area because there is a lot to weave around.

Tina
Hi from Gone to the Dawgs! 1987 Tiffin Allegro in Deale MD. CW Rocks!!!

JDxeper

I think mine in the 78 Tumble Bug is 3/8" butyl..   The 68 has both 1/2 and 3/8 copper with more patches than a boy scout..  I think when I redo the system on the 68 I will go with 3/8 of some sort. Probably a 3/8 plastic reinforced type that I can get at the farm store.

My answer, I would go with 3/8.   Y! i?? Hm?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)

4winds

Mine is mostly original and is 1/2 inch cpvc! If I have to replace will probably go with PEC.  Ed

Oz

Pex tubing and fittings have been the option of choice, according to our members.

I would look at the sizes which are currently being used and use the same thing, unless you are looking to change (like faucets, water heater, etc.) and if they have a different size, just change the lines to those items, but keep the primary line the same.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

salplmb

the thing about water lines is the volume of water u get through any given size line is determined by the length and pressure. our rigs are pretty small and the smaller the line the faster u will get hot water. cold is the same but u don't have to wait for cold water. so if u stick with 3/8" lines u should be fine. it really doesn't matter in our small rigs. the runs are pretty short. if u still have a air pressure system the volume through the lines will drop as the pressure goes down. on a in line pump set up the pressure will stay constant. the size only really matters if u r running more than one fixture at a time.
u can probably tell i am a plumber by trade because i give to much info. this is my area of expertize. hope this helps.
sal

DanD2Soon

It's never too much Sal.  Nice knowing you've got our backs. 
Do you still have a loaner PEX tool?

newellkev

WOW, Thanks folks for all the input !! :)clap It looks like Pex it is!! And I believe I'm going with 3/8". The 1/4" copper that is there just seams to darn small.  Again thanks to all (dang I just love this site) Y!

RV Mech Tech

Please check my latest post on the General Board titled, "Parts & Information Websites"  for RV plumbing supply info.   :)clap

newellkev

Well I went and done it now!! ??? I snatched up Melody and off we went to our high tech RV supplier (Menards). :D Got us a 100 ft roll of 3/8" Pex and a bunch of the shark bite type fittings I'll be needing to redo the plumbing.  :)clap Only spent 61$ and got most of what will be needed. At this rate I figure it will cost just about 100$ for all. My fresh water tanks and pump are still good the only thing I'm not sure of is the hot water heater i??. Will know more about it soon.

Oz

Much cheaper than re-plumbing a house, yes?
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

newellkev

And with going to pex it's much easier to !!

JDxeper

Been shopping for pex water line, found red !/2" in pex at Home depot for $16.00 per 100 Ft,  the white is about $26.00 per and and 3/8" about same as the white.  But HD had no 3/8" fittings.  Went on to Lowes, nothing else to do on a dreary afternoon, they were about the same price except the red was $26.00 also.  Blue was higher than either red or white, same as HD.  Crimp tool is another story.  The cheapest one I could find was $38 at Lowes, looks like it's 1/2" pex for me.  I'll get a roll of white and a roll of red and do both units. Any cheap crimp tools ??? ?
Tumble Bug "Rollin in MO" (JD)