Is there a standard mounting size for water heaters?

Started by cabledawg, May 01, 2010, 10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabledawg

Does anyone know if water heaters have a standard mounting size?  Ours is cracked and while I have it bypassed, eventually I'd like to replace it with a DSI so we have hot water

ClydesdaleKevin

All the six gallon tanks are the exact same dimensions.  The 10 gallon heaters are a couple of inches higher and deeper, but the same width.  We managed to squeeze a 10 gallon in ours by cutting the opening a little higher and had just enough depth in the cabinet.

Kev
Kev and Patti, the furry kids, our 1981 Ford F-100 Custom tow vehicle, and our 1995 Itasca Suncruiser Diesel Pusher.

Oz

In the early-mid 70's 23'-24' models with the dinette on the driver's side, the water heater is located under the forward facing dinette bench seat, so you do have a lot more room to work with depth wise and a little height wise, but it's pretty tight side-to side, although it wouldn't take much modification to the bench base to accomodate a larger heater.

We've had both a 5 and a 6 gallon heater in that space with no modifications needed.
1969 D22, 2 x 1974 D24 Indians, 1977 27' Itasca

cabledawg

Thanks for the info.  On my Mobile Traveler, the WH is on the pass side, right behind the rear tires and under the fridge.  There is plenty of depth (at least another 6"), but there is no width or height space left.  I'd hate to have to cut up the side to fit another WH in there.